Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

4 or 5" Exhaust and some questions

3K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  DSTRBD 
#1 ·
Folks, I bought a 09 CC/SB 6.4 and of course the time has come to mod it...

I got a S&B Intake, planning on a Black Maxx, now trying to figure out exhaust...

I am going to run turbo back straight pipes, so now 4 or 5 "

Does 5" do anything different power wise, or does it lower EGT's?

Does the reduced backpressure result in less torque or HP in a 5", or is it so negligable that you'll never notice?

And on the straight pipe debate, I was thinkg 5" Flo_pro, but the Diamond eye 5" is about $200 cheaper, but I don't see many guys running it. Since its all straight pipe, is there much difference in the two. My thought was straight pipe is straight pipe...

On the diamond eye, it mentions bung and no bung, which I beleive is the factory sensors (which I beleive the Black Maxx completely bypasses, so no need for bungs), but they also have a flange or no flange? Is that referring to how the exhaust fits together? Is flange ball and socket style and no flange is slip fit?

Thanks!Of course, if anyone is selling what I need.........

See less See more
#2 ·
The flange is for the down pipe. I guess you are looking at the same kit I'm looking at. Turbo back 5in right? The one with the flange will let you put the doc/dpf back on with the 4in DP. With out the flange there is no way to put the doc/dpf back in if you need to. As for the bungs you don't need them with the H&S.

#3 ·
I have the 4" diamond eye straight down pipe back and i love it easy install and its a good product. My buddy has the 5" Flo-pro turbo back and his doesnt do anything my pipe does his egts are the same and no notice in hp. It sounds a little deeper but thats it. He was having troubles with his clamps they werent holding the pipes together so he went through and welded a small bead on every flange and its fine now. I have bungs and he doesn't i did the bungs just cause i didnt want my factory harness getting full of dirt and ruined but you could just tape the harness up real good and be fine either way you go i think you will be fine. Not sure about the flange question.

#4 ·
Unless you change out your down pipe the only difference is the tone of the exhaust.

#6 ·
I also have the diamond Eye 5" DPF back with a 4" DPF/CAT in front of it, I added an Aero turbine muffler, ends with a 5"X6" tip, the sound is great, nice and deep, the overall quality is excellent, everything goes together nicely, tried using the band clamps but they just did not hold, so went with the U-clamp type that came with it, for the money you get a good exhaust, will last you many years, also purchased from Aaron @ Rudy's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.