Best Oil for 6.4 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2011, 08:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Best Oil for 6.4

wondering what the best oil is for my 6.4?? is royal purple good?

thnaks for the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2011, 06:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to blackcloud2k Send a message via Yahoo to blackcloud2k
Royal purple is good but not cheap. Are you looking to go with synthetic or standard dino? When it comes to oil most on here are going to say amsoil, rotella, and valvoline blue, or mobile. Synthetic oil I feel is a waste of money in these trucks. It is worth the money if you are going to extend your oil change intervals, but that is not wise because ford will void your warranty in a heartbeat if you have issues and cant prove oil changes at least every 5k miles. I run synthetic in my truck in the winter in my truck to help with extreme cold starts but still change it every 5k miles.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:49 AM

thanks

i live in texas and drive mostly city and race. what would you reccomend?? and is royal purple good or bad?
Old 05-26-2011, 06:55 AM
Dont Mess With Texas!

i run rotella...that is what my local ford dealer keeps on the shelf besides all the motorcraft ****, and i love it so far
Old 05-26-2011, 07:07 AM

Royal purple is good oil, but there are better options out there for diesel oil. If I were you I would run a good dino such as rotella, or valvoline blue and call it good. Look at the price difference between synthetic and dino and you will realize with out extending your change intervals that you can pocket an extra $50-60 every oil change.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.4PSD View Post
i live in texas and drive mostly city and race. what would you reccomend?? and is royal purple good or bad?
If you've ever changed your oil on your diesel truck (I've been changing my own for the past 40 years), you'll notice that the used oil has a lot more contaminates (why else would it be so black?) in it than what comes out of a typical gasoline engine.

I know that synthetic oils don't break-down like regular oils, but they still get dirty from engine deposits and those deposits aren't removed from your engine until they run through the filter, so on the way to the filter the deposits can do damage.

I say:

Forget Royal Purple or any other synthetic unless you're going to change the oil at 5,000 mile intervals or less, if you are going to be doing a lot of Racing.

Stay with a good quality conventional oil (Shell Rotella, Chevron Delo 400, or Motorcraft) and change it every 3,000 to 4,000 miles and you'll never have a problem.

Oh yeah, if you're on a road-trip and by chance need oil, don't plan on finding Royal Purple or many of the other synthetics just anywhere. You can always find Rotella.

The following information has been offered as "an opinion" and should not be construed as "bashing" or "promoting" any oil.

Be leery of those on the forum selling [I]Snake oil[I].
Old 05-26-2011, 08:07 AM

Where i work we punish our trucks and the company i work for has around 100 hundred ford diesels 00-10 model years we have no paved roads just beat up gravel roads and we run these trucks 24-7 365 and we run nothing but chevron delo nothing has held up as good and we have tested alot of oils. In my personal trucks its all i run after seeing what it holds up to at my work seriously impressed me. I can't speak for synthetics I have ran synthetics in heavy equipment because it had alot of down time in extreme cold temps and it was nice to have in those situations the equipment needed to run and there was no chance for a service for a long period. Its all personal preference in the end everyone has different opinions on the subject.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:12 AM
Don't you worry about it

Motorcraft for me, nothing wrong with rotella. I did try the T6 synth rotella and got a horrible blackstone report and when I switched back to motorcraft the result was back to normal.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:15 AM

I got the same result using the rotella syn. Normal rotella I get good reports, but not the syn.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:29 PM

My dealer puts in regular rotella for me and i do it every 4 thousand. Did it on my 08 and my 10. Never had any oil related problems!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
6.4, oil, oil change, royal purple

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.