Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Best Oil for 6.4

92K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  04hdfatboy 
#1 ·
wondering what the best oil is for my 6.4?? is royal purple good?

thnaks for the help:icon_ford:

#2 ·
Royal purple is good but not cheap. Are you looking to go with synthetic or standard dino? When it comes to oil most on here are going to say amsoil, rotella, and valvoline blue, or mobile. Synthetic oil I feel is a waste of money in these trucks. It is worth the money if you are going to extend your oil change intervals, but that is not wise because ford will void your warranty in a heartbeat if you have issues and cant prove oil changes at least every 5k miles. I run synthetic in my truck in the winter in my truck to help with extreme cold starts but still change it every 5k miles.

#3 ·
thanks

i live in texas and drive mostly city and race. what would you reccomend?? and is royal purple good or bad?

#6 ·
i live in texas and drive mostly city and race. what would you reccomend?? and is royal purple good or bad?
If you've ever changed your oil on your diesel truck (I've been changing my own for the past 40 years), you'll notice that the used oil has a lot more contaminates (why else would it be so black?) in it than what comes out of a typical gasoline engine.

I know that synthetic oils don't break-down like regular oils, but they still get dirty from engine deposits and those deposits aren't removed from your engine until they run through the filter, so on the way to the filter the deposits can do damage.

I say:

Forget Royal Purple or any other synthetic unless you're going to change the oil at 5,000 mile intervals or less, if you are going to be doing a lot of Racing.

Stay with a good quality conventional oil (Shell Rotella, Chevron Delo 400, or Motorcraft) and change it every 3,000 to 4,000 miles and you'll never have a problem.

Oh yeah, if you're on a road-trip and by chance need oil, don't plan on finding Royal Purple or many of the other synthetics just anywhere. You can always find Rotella.

The following information has been offered as "an opinion" and should not be construed as "bashing" or "promoting" any oil.

Be leery of those on the forum selling Snake oil.

#4 ·
i run rotella...that is what my local ford dealer keeps on the shelf besides all the motorcraft ****, and i love it so far

#5 ·
Royal purple is good oil, but there are better options out there for diesel oil. If I were you I would run a good dino such as rotella, or valvoline blue and call it good. Look at the price difference between synthetic and dino and you will realize with out extending your change intervals that you can pocket an extra $50-60 every oil change.

#7 ·
Where i work we punish our trucks and the company i work for has around 100 hundred ford diesels 00-10 model years we have no paved roads just beat up gravel roads and we run these trucks 24-7 365 and we run nothing but chevron delo nothing has held up as good and we have tested alot of oils. In my personal trucks its all i run after seeing what it holds up to at my work seriously impressed me. I can't speak for synthetics I have ran synthetics in heavy equipment because it had alot of down time in extreme cold temps and it was nice to have in those situations the equipment needed to run and there was no chance for a service for a long period. Its all personal preference in the end everyone has different opinions on the subject.

#11 ·
Can you elaborate on the results you two got with the T6 syn? Ive got about 8000km so far on mine with the T6. (I am tuned and dpf deleted)

#13 ·
Ah ok, I was wondering if it had anything to do with regen.

#14 ·
Valvoline 5w40 Extreme Blue. I have used Motorcraft, Rotella 5w40 full synthetic, and the Valvoline full synthetic. My truck runs best with the Valvoline full synthetic.

#18 ·
I've always used Rotella but heard something about better mileage with syn. oil. I wonder if the savings would be worth it?

#19 ·
As long it has the CJ-4 rating and you change your oil often any good quality oil will do although synthetic oil performs better.

#22 ·
Yes you can

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.