Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

New to 6.4

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  BLKF250 
#1 ·
heres my story iam getting ready to let go of my 6.0 to a close friend of mine i love the truck and was amazing for my diesel ive worked on diesels ever since i was 17 (21 now few years) iam looking to pick up a 6.4 sometime in june heres what i got down on the performance list.

DPF/CAT delete.... question i had about the exhaust is i love the factory tip and want to keep it iam prob gonna replace with muffler with a straight pipe, but to the question if i run a DPF/CAT/Muffler delete will EGTs stay low enough with a tune and will the truck be able to flow enough for a tune also.

Intake looking at AFE PRO 2.....not sure whats the best intake for these motors but seen alot about AFE

Tuners i think iam gonna end up running H&S wit KEM 345 tune (not as a daily driver tune) i like on the fly and heard mike is a godis lol

EGR? not sure on this one people say to get it and block off the EGR and pull out the coolers others say the tuners shut down the hole system so if someone wants to fill me in on this a little more that would be great

Thanks guys

See less See more
#2 ·
The muffler on the exhaust is a straight through resonator, so replacing it will not make much difference. I'm running the stock back exhaust and it works fine. If you are going to run high HP race tunes, a aftermarket exhaust will lower the EGT maybe 200 or so degrees. If you get the H&S and use a KEM tune, you will not be able to use the shift on the fly. Mike at KEM is working on firmware to address that. As for the EGR, I have read several times that if you run lower tunes, say 275 and below, there is no need to block the EGR. Also there is something about blocking the EGR, running higher tunes and causing higher Exhaust blow back pressure. I don't understand it so you may want to look into that. The AFE is a good filter, along with the S&B.

#3 ·
The DPF/Cat delete will make the system full straight through without restrictions as previously mentioned.

The AFE Stage 2 is a great option and has 3 different filters. The best filtering is the PG7 so if you want the best, thats the one to get.

H&S makes the best tuners for these trucks and I highly suggest trying their new tunes before you buy something else. They have been running great with more power and better shifting than their originals. The 300 tune is a monster as well.

#4 ·
great feed back guys....so if run anything higher then a 275 tune iam gonna have to delete the EGR system and probably get a full exhaust to keep the EGT's done or can i run a 345 tune with the DPF and CAT replacement and the truck will be fine or will the EGT's get to hot

#5 ·
From what I have come to understand about the EGR delete is that if you dont do a delete kit with a waste gate you will have way to much Exhaust back pressure and have a high risk of over presure in the cylinder and tearing up a head gasket or maybe worse. Most of your higher horsepower tunes from what i hear disable the EGR system so you can just leave it but I may be mistaken.

#6 · (Edited)
I got a 6.4 a few mths ago and love it. I had 3, 7.3's bf that and I thought nothing could top a 7.3....wrong! I have been overly impressed with the reliability I have achieved simply from egr blocker plates and dpf/cat delete with HS 250 tune. You will get a lot of opinions on the egr delete and if use of waste gate is needed, some say you need to start addressing backpressure issues @150hp, some say 175, and as high as 275. My mechanic told me with a vgt turbo the backpressure is handled via turbo vanes:dunno: Im confused too.I use the 160 tune mainly and don't worry with it, but I figured when running the 250 tune and blocker plates I just need to make sure not to come of ca$h pedal to fast! There are good delete kits available, im just waitn on 200k ESP to expire and ill be doing that mod too.
Im running staright flo pro with factory muff and it moves some exhaust with epa chit removed. Save ur $ and try to 250 or 300 HS tune bf sacrificing ur fly shift. Ur on the right path to building a beast. Good luck and let us know how we can help

#7 ·
so if i run a 275 tune as a DD with the EGR disactivate will that be ok with the truck as far as back pressure goes? every once in a while i might run a 300 or 345 tune again when i do run those with the EGR disactivate will that hurt the truck at all?

#8 ·
All HS dpf deleted tunes disable the egr. My trk was leaking occasionally at the horizontal cooler when my rig was factory, so whn I got the tuner I installed blocker plates. So far, so good. Ill take it in bf the warranty goes out for a final one-over and have it replaced, but since I deleted it my truck hasn't given me one issue:thumb:

#9 ·
what kind of EGR delete kit do you recommend and where can u get it and where can u get a wastegate kit from for the bigger tunes.....my plan with this 6.4 is to be powerful and realiable and i want to make sure what ever I have to do with the EGR i do it.... I heard the valve is a bi*ch to remove so iam looking forward to that

#10 ·
U dont gotta lift the cab or anything if you do the EGR delete and install a wastegate right?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.