Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

New to the powerstroke world with a few questions....

1K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  j21black 
#1 ·
I had an 04' Cummins that was stolen a month ago and I've finally got squared away with the insurance company. I'm going down to Houston this weekend to pick up my new truck, 10' F-250 Lariat CCSB with the FX4 option.

I have pretty much settled on Spartan for the tuner. I will probably go with one of the many kits that include intake and either exhaust or a delete pipe but I'm unsure which route to go. Is the factory exhaust w/delete pipe free flowing enough to keep EGT's in check? I'm not sure I want to be straight piped as I didn't care to much for it on my Cummins, I would like to find an exhaust with a good DEEP tone, suggestions?

The extent of the mods will be tuner, intake, exhaust & EGR delete. Is there anything else I should look at? Also anyone know of any good kit prices? Would really like to find some lightly used equipment but it seems hard to come by.

#2 ·
I have 5in pro-flow exhaust and a afe 2 cai on my truck and i love that set up. I also have a spartan and i have had no issues with it. If i were you i would do a full exhaust. It will help keep the egt's down some and it sounds pretty sweet. here is the link to were i bought mine at.

2008-10 6.4L FLO~PRO 5" Downpipe Back Performance Exhaust System NO MUFFLER

The mods you have listed are pretty much what everyone on here have been doing. If you look in my mods list in my SIG you will see a couple others that have been done. You will love this truck

#3 ·
If you're looking for a used Spartan tuner, just be aware that there is a transfer fee to get the previous owner's truck/VIN off of the tuner and yours added to the tuner. I believe it costs $100 to get it unlocked.

As for exhaust, it seems that these trucks like a little bit of back pressure so downpipe back exhausts are the way to go. At least, this is my opinion. I see nothing wrong with using the stock 4" exhaust and buying just the delete pipe. It all depends on if you want a 4" or 5" exhaust, what your ultimate HP goal is, and what you want to spend. As for pricing, the online dealers have some decent pricing. You can get quotes from them all.

#4 ·
If you're looking for a used Spartan tuner, just be aware that there is a transfer fee to get the previous owner's truck/VIN off of the tuner and yours added to the tuner. I believe it costs $100 to get it unlocked.
This is correct. A used DashDAQ, as long as the unit was returned to stock, will need to be unlocked. The unlock fee is $100. If the unit was not returned to stock, the fee is $699.00.

As for exhaust, it seems that these trucks like a little bit of back pressure so downpipe back exhausts are the way to go. At least, this is my opinion. I see nothing wrong with using the stock 4" exhaust and buying just the delete pipe. It all depends on if you want a 4" or 5" exhaust, what your ultimate HP goal is, and what you want to spend. As for pricing, the online dealers have some decent pricing. You can get quotes from them all.
They like a little bit of back pressure? What on earth are you talking about? :dunno:

Also, stock exhaust is 3.5"....not 4". Delete pipes can be purchased in 3.5", 4", and 5". Downpipe back exhaust systems can be bought in either 4" or 5". One could also replace their factory 3" downpipe (yes, I said 3") with a free-flowing 4" downpipe. The aftermarket downpipes help with spool up, throttle response, and lowering EGT's.

#7 ·
#6 ·
You're going to love your new truck! I traded my 05 ram 3500 for my 10 f350 did spartan dpf/doc delete & s&b cai! I was pleasantly surprised how quiet the ford is with open exhaust, it really is barely louder then stock! My ram had all the banks stuff & wouldn't come close to my f350 I.E. same grade same load= ram 38mph, f350 running 210 tp 57 mph egts stayed within check! I've only seen probs with egts @ low speeds when the t/c unlocks! The loads I generally pull are @ 18k! I don't know about replacing the down pipe, but what I do know is that with my above listed mods I'm very happy with my truck & don't see a reason to do more at this time!

#8 ·
Get a down pipe back exhaust and be done with it. With or without a muffler is up to you.

Much easier to just yank it all off at once vs. taking out pieces and having to section in a delete pipe.

ETA: And call Nate at PTP - He will set you up with a tuner and exhaust. Great guy to deal with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.