Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Mild Tuner Recommendation

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  DSTRBD 
#1 ·
I've made the decision to remove the DPF on my 2010 and add a mild tune. I've got a mod friendly dealer so I don't have to worry about that. One of the mechanics will actually put these tuners on for you :nod: I've searched and read for hours and have narrowed it down to a few and would appreciate your feedback.

The truck already runs and tows my trailer good enough so I don't want or need to add 200+ hp. If I had the big tunes would I flip the switch every once in a while, absolutley :) but a mild tune of 70 or 80 hp would be more than enough in addition to letting it breath by removing all the other crap. I'd like to hear from you guys and the vendors whats working the best and recommended. I want to make sure I can keep the EGTs in check and I don't want to loose the shift points of the tranny either. My buddy has an H&S on his 09 and hates how hard it shifts. I know theres updates available and told him he needs to look into them.

Here's the list I came up with. Let me know if there are any others I need to consider.

- H&S Blackmax (because I like the bigger screen), can you keep the EGTs in check? How does the 80 hp tow? Any reason to worry about towing with this setting?
- Gear Box Z DPF+ with mild tune and an Edge CTS for gauges, what do you do with the EGR? Do you have to run blocker plates or do they cycle it like the H&S tuners?
- Edge Rac Evolution - I've heard Edge creates some high EGTs in the older Ford and Dodge trucks? Does Edge cycle the EGR like H&S? How do they shift?

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback.

Greg.

See less See more
#2 ·
If you are going to stay on the milder tunes any would work great.
I have learned the DPF-R is better than it was when I was looking.
I would get a tuner that tunes the tranny. Having a tranny that is tuned makes a world of difference, more so towing.
I stay on the mild tunes in my truck, I tow a lot with it and hills around me will make the EGT's go up fairly quick even on a tow tune, I can get it to about 1250 towards the top of some of them.
I went with Innovative. Eric tuned my 6.0 and loved it. The 6.4 with his tow tune is an animal. The tranny tuning really makes the tune for me.
This was not available when I bought the Livewire, but if I bought now I would get this:
SCT 3025OR 6.4L Off-Road X3
Then get the CTS for gauges. I use the older Insight and works out great.

#3 ·
I am running an H&S XRT pro on the 80 HP mild tune with the edge CS monitor. I have seen 1200 on the EGT but that will not hurt your truck as I only see it pulling long hills. The power is amazing and with the shift tunes it shifts smooth with no banging into gear, The support from H&S is great and all their tunes are free making it even better. JMHO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.