Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

New kid looking for help with programmers

8K views 72 replies 23 participants last post by  Jimbo33 
#1 ·
Hello, I'm a new 6.4 owner and my last ford was a 7.3. Anyways, I want to get a programmer that isn't too crazy. I'm not going to be racing on the track with it or anything. I've been reading up about the programmers and just can't make up my mind. I would like it to be on the fly. Also, I don't plan on getting my DPF deleted since the truck is new to me and still under warrenty. I do have a cold air intake and an exhaust will me soon to follow. I was looking at getting the edge programmer, but it only have so many setting. Any input would be helpfully. And like I said, I'm new and not used to these exhaust temperatures and etc, so what do you recommend??

#2 ·
I run an H&S tunner, Like the compact design and the choice of parameters to monitor plus you can switch between tunes.

As to the rest, DOC/DPF and regens will cause fuel to be injected into the exahust stroke and lead to oil delution issues.

EGR pipes soot into the intake.....

Neither of these are good for the motor and niether are good for fuel mileage.

2 cents form the cheap seats

Cheers

#3 ·
Many people have the same idea as you. Dont delete the DPF because its under warranty. As was said though, having the DPF in place hurts your motor more than it helps because of the fuel in the oil. If I were you I would delete the DPF and tune the truck. If your not worried about the extra power, run the lower tunes. Higher tunes will net you higher MPG's though.

#4 ·
I am just nervous about deleting the dpf because knowing my luck I will have something go wrong and wont be under warrenty, I cant afford a huge repair bill right now. Maybe I will delete the dpf next year so I can run the truck alittle more to make sure its okay, so without deleting dpf, whats a good programmer to get?

#5 ·
I don't own one and haven't read up to much about them so if this is a dumb question, I apologise ahead of time:thumb: BUT if you delete the DPF, can you save it and put it back on in case your truck needs a dealership visit under warranty?:dunno:

#7 ·
Yes. All your doing is unbolting it and installing a straight pipe in it's place. So when you have to go for inspections or warranty work you simply remove the straight pipe, reinstall the DPF and reflash your PCM back to stock.

#6 ·
In the long run, removing the DPF can help the engine, but it's not a luxury everyone can go with. Whether it's maintaining the warranty, or worries about inspections in your state, or your just unable to perform the conversion yourself.

Several of the tuners Spartan, H&S, Banks offer DPF on tuning options, the cleanest of which is the Banks. All tuners can potentially result in your warranty being voided though if the dealer so wishes. However, Banks is the only one which is receiving CARB approval, which means you won't have to remove it for your yearly inspections.

As for the fuel dilution issue. There are things you can do to limit that as well. During regen, the vehicle injects fuel on both the intake and exhaust strokes. When you place your vehicle in Park or Turn it off, you basically shutoff the regen process. The problem with turning it off though is the fuel remaining in the cylinders will run by the rings when the engine cools off resulting in cylinder wash and oil dilution. To avoid this as much as possible, it's best to let your engine idle for several minutes to let the EGT's come down to normal operating levels and allow the engine to burn off all that excess fuel that is still in the cylinders. It may not stop it completely, especially if your rings don't make a good seal, but it will help allot more then just turning your truck off.

Reactions: SeaPig
#9 ·
I recently just did a dpf delete. I'm running an edge race evo cts tune. So far I like it and havent had any trouble. However it has 4 race tunes. Does the truck get better
Mpg if I am running it on a high tune? Is this bad for the truck to be running it on level 4 everywhere? Thanks

#10 ·
If it's like others, you will have increased MPG with the higher tunes.

All depends on what you do while on the higher levels. If your just out driving, then you should be fine, but if your hot dogging it at every light and beating the crap out of the truck, problems may show up sooner. I don't know how high the HP ratings are on the Edge, but people have been using the 275 and 310 Spartan tunes for quite a while as daily drivers and haven't had any major issues. A few have puked coolant but the majority are still going strong when used as daily drivers rather then weekend dragsters.

#15 ·
H&S is the only option is my opinion, do the Full Delete! It's a must and don't worry the truck can handle the Mild and Wild tunes. The Truck will get 20MPG+ save you money, not only that you will love to drive the truck.

Theres a huge problem with the DPF being on the truck. Unless your hauling everyday or just beating your truck the DPF will clog! It will throw a check engine light and you will be into the dealer over and over.

They will either reset your computer = Fix for a couple days at most ; DPF still clogged.

Second is hook your truck up to run a high idle for close to an hour to clean it out!
(Family member is the Diesel tech at a ford Dealer) and thats what he said they do.

If you plan to Lift your truck or add wheels and tires etc. You should be ready to spend money on anything that could go wrong. It will be less then a set of wheels and Pro Comp 37"s alll day And We all go right through them.. I don't plan or want anything to happen to my drive line but at the same time Ill end up upgrading to sun coast and a 350tune just like upgradeding suspension, wheels, tires etc.

Gotta give Ford an A for being able to handle an Extra 250hp and last! With H&S tuning the truck is a monster! I'm loving it!

#19 ·
In that case, your better off running one of the DPF on tuners. Unfortunately, they don't increase the mileage as much as removing the DPF will.

#20 ·
Jimbo33,

I understand u not wanting to deal with install/removal of dpf, but these guys are telling u right. I have the 200k esp on my rig and after deleting dpf/cat @112k or so( im @ 120k today) I honestly think I should have saved that money on more bulletproofing mode. That regen process adding diesel to the oil, and egr process adding antifreeze to oil(upon failure) or "all your intake can eat Soot", its Damn near setup to self destruct.
With that being said, 1)get a high end tuner HS or Spartan 2) dpf removal can be done in an hour almost anywhere. U can leave bungs on factory exhaust and leave hangers attached too, remove hangers from frame, this is way easier. 3) put that dpf/doc $hit in your patio storage closet @ ur apartment and drive the piss out of it:thumb:
if ur trk has a prob reinstall....if ur going on a roadtrip, throw oem setup in trk bed....once u drive ur trk with open exhaust u will understand why its so crucial to save her bf its too late!

#25 ·
You can, but the engine will generate more soot at that point and result in the DPF getting clogged really quick. At some point the truck will go into limp mode or worse because the DPF is clogged.

#22 ·
I just put an Edge Juice with Attitude CTS in my truck. Edge doesn't suggest you drive daily in anything higher then level 3 which in mine is listed at drive. They don't suggest you drive in level 4 which is race mode in mine. I am not sure what it is labeled in yours. My Cousin has had Edge in his Excursion for a few years and his is having issues with his torque converter cause he ran around in learn mode.

As for the delete. I have only heard of deleteing the EGR and from what I have read everyone suggests it. Esp. with the 6.0

#24 ·
I just put an Edge Juice with Attitude CTS in my truck. Edge doesn't suggest you drive daily in anything higher then level 3 which in mine is listed at drive. They don't suggest you drive in level 4 which is race mode in mine. I am not sure what it is labeled in yours. My Cousin has had Edge in his Excursion for a few years and his is having issues with his torque converter cause he ran around in learn mode.

As for the delete. I have only heard of deleteing the EGR and from what I have read everyone suggests it. Esp. with the 6.0

#29 ·
You can gut it and some users have. But when you do that, you won't be able to revert back to stock for any dealer visits or inspections.

#36 ·
Jimbo, Good Idea with H&S. You can't go wrong! The new .22 software the shifting is awesome. Mine feels just like stock. I feel nothing on the shifts-Tracktion bars though.

But if you do Tune your truck, and leave the DPF You will clogg that DPF faster and faster no matter what. It will throw Check engine lights and you will feel like the truck has a problem.(Which it does a DPF to clogg air flow)

So honestly theres no point to buy a tuner for your truck and mod it half way. The truck has to Flow Flow Flow to save mpg's. The truck clogs of soot (stock) and worse when you even add an Intake. You can't just add to one side and not open the exhaust..

Also If you look under your truck that filter/DPF is just crazy Huge Heavy Nonsense. You don't need crazy tools to take them off either its 4 bolts. Two on each end, simple. You won't have to put it back on anyways, the truck is not going to just break because you allow it to breath. It's when you run it hard, burnout and race off the start when it will add wear and strain to the parts. You sound like the type to take care of the truck and your investment. It's just mind games, Run it and love it! I bet when you finally do it youll wonder why the hell you were messing around in the first place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.