New kid looking for help with programmers - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2011, 02:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New kid looking for help with programmers

Hello, I'm a new 6.4 owner and my last ford was a 7.3. Anyways, I want to get a programmer that isn't too crazy. I'm not going to be racing on the track with it or anything. I've been reading up about the programmers and just can't make up my mind. I would like it to be on the fly. Also, I don't plan on getting my DPF deleted since the truck is new to me and still under warrenty. I do have a cold air intake and an exhaust will me soon to follow. I was looking at getting the edge programmer, but it only have so many setting. Any input would be helpfully. And like I said, I'm new and not used to these exhaust temperatures and etc, so what do you recommend??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2011, 03:33 AM

I run an H&S tunner, Like the compact design and the choice of parameters to monitor plus you can switch between tunes.

As to the rest, DOC/DPF and regens will cause fuel to be injected into the exahust stroke and lead to oil delution issues.

EGR pipes soot into the intake.....

Neither of these are good for the motor and niether are good for fuel mileage.

2 cents form the cheap seats

Cheers
Old 05-16-2011, 05:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to blackcloud2k Send a message via Yahoo to blackcloud2k
Many people have the same idea as you. Dont delete the DPF because its under warranty. As was said though, having the DPF in place hurts your motor more than it helps because of the fuel in the oil. If I were you I would delete the DPF and tune the truck. If your not worried about the extra power, run the lower tunes. Higher tunes will net you higher MPG's though.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:50 AM

I am just nervous about deleting the dpf because knowing my luck I will have something go wrong and wont be under warrenty, I cant afford a huge repair bill right now. Maybe I will delete the dpf next year so I can run the truck alittle more to make sure its okay, so without deleting dpf, whats a good programmer to get?
Old 05-16-2011, 06:10 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I don't own one and haven't read up to much about them so if this is a dumb question, I apologise ahead of time BUT if you delete the DPF, can you save it and put it back on in case your truck needs a dealership visit under warranty?
Old 05-16-2011, 06:27 AM

In the long run, removing the DPF can help the engine, but it's not a luxury everyone can go with. Whether it's maintaining the warranty, or worries about inspections in your state, or your just unable to perform the conversion yourself.

Several of the tuners Spartan, H&S, Banks offer DPF on tuning options, the cleanest of which is the Banks. All tuners can potentially result in your warranty being voided though if the dealer so wishes. However, Banks is the only one which is receiving CARB approval, which means you won't have to remove it for your yearly inspections.

As for the fuel dilution issue. There are things you can do to limit that as well. During regen, the vehicle injects fuel on both the intake and exhaust strokes. When you place your vehicle in Park or Turn it off, you basically shutoff the regen process. The problem with turning it off though is the fuel remaining in the cylinders will run by the rings when the engine cools off resulting in cylinder wash and oil dilution. To avoid this as much as possible, it's best to let your engine idle for several minutes to let the EGT's come down to normal operating levels and allow the engine to burn off all that excess fuel that is still in the cylinders. It may not stop it completely, especially if your rings don't make a good seal, but it will help allot more then just turning your truck off.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinlogue5_0 View Post
I don't own one and haven't read up to much about them so if this is a dumb question, I apologise ahead of time BUT if you delete the DPF, can you save it and put it back on in case your truck needs a dealership visit under warranty?
Yes. All your doing is unbolting it and installing a straight pipe in it's place. So when you have to go for inspections or warranty work you simply remove the straight pipe, reinstall the DPF and reflash your PCM back to stock.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:40 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by smotrs View Post
Yes. All your doing is unbolting it and installing a straight pipe in it's place. So when you have to go for inspections or warranty work you simply remove the straight pipe, reinstall the DPF and reflash your PCM back to stock.
Seems like thats the way to go. Thanks for ansering my question
Old 05-16-2011, 08:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I recently just did a dpf delete. I'm running an edge race evo cts tune. So far I like it and havent had any trouble. However it has 4 race tunes. Does the truck get better
Mpg if I am running it on a high tune? Is this bad for the truck to be running it on level 4 everywhere? Thanks
Old 05-16-2011, 10:15 AM

If it's like others, you will have increased MPG with the higher tunes.

All depends on what you do while on the higher levels. If your just out driving, then you should be fine, but if your hot dogging it at every light and beating the crap out of the truck, problems may show up sooner. I don't know how high the HP ratings are on the Edge, but people have been using the 275 and 310 Spartan tunes for quite a while as daily drivers and haven't had any major issues. A few have puked coolant but the majority are still going strong when used as daily drivers rather then weekend dragsters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.