6.4 L questions, H&S Black Maxx - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2011, 08:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.4 L questions, H&S Black Maxx

I have a 2009 F-350 CC LWB with a H&S Black Maxx, 5" downpipe back FloPro exhaust and an S&B intake. I downloaded the new Hot Damn 300 tune and have been having high EGTs ever since. I probably go WOT at least a few times per day(I'm kind of hard on my vehicles), and it defuels due to EGTs every time. I've seen the EGTs 1600+ and I'm not sure that's ok. I assumed everyone was having high EGTs on the 300 tune, but no one seems to be bringing it up. I guess my question is, what do I need to do? I was told that I need to do the single turbo upgrade, but my truck only has 28,000 miles on it and I'm not ready to completley void my warranty yet. Whould changing the downpipe to a 4" and upgrading the intercooler and IC pipe make enough of a difference in the EGT's? I probably need a 200 degree F drop. Any thoughts????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2011, 08:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I wouldnt change the down pipe. The bigger the pipe the lower your egts will be. You could look into intercoolee or look into water/meth injection stage 3 from snow performance.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

They said they changed the way the temps are calculated so its really not that the temps have gone up its just the way they calculate it. Dont ask me thats what they said.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:37 AM

In my experience if it's blowing smoke it's going to get hot. The more it smokes the hotter it gets. You are cramming more fuel than air.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks. I think I'll try to change the downpipe next. Does anyone know the reasonably safe level to set the EGT defuel level to? The truck hits 1500 F and defuels when I'm trying to perform the trans relearn 0-80 WOT run. Is 1600 F still safe enough? Also for the guys with the DPF, what EGT's does the truck hit during regen? Maybe that will help me decide at least what Ford expects the engine can handle...
Old 05-27-2011, 05:42 AM

Send a message via AIM to blackcloud2k Send a message via Yahoo to blackcloud2k
I have a buddy who is having the same issue with his 300 tune. He Installed an intake at the same time as updating to the 300 tune and he cant keep his EGT's down. What is it about this tune that makes it run so hot?
Old 05-27-2011, 05:51 AM

DPF on temps will run 1300 to 1400 for about 20 minutes. 1500 is fine for a few seconds at full throttle. Do you race a lot where you are at full throttle all the time?
Old 05-27-2011, 08:53 AM

To much fuel not enough air. Doe's that 300 tune perform any better than the 250 tune in my experiences with the high tunes the only advantage of that tune if your trucks not built for racing is fuel mileage. Other wise it seems on the dino your truck actually will perform better on a lower tune if its a mostly stock truck. I went through a few dino runs in my buddys 09 with black maxx and dpf delete his truck performance with his best runs came from one of his mid range tunes i cant remember if it was a 150 or 200 tune but either way his truck saw a big drop in hp and tq as he went up in tunes it had lots of smoke though and high EGTs in the upper tunes.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I think my truck did perform a little better on the 275 (old Hot Damn tune). I guess it's not getting enough air for the 300 tune. I don't race the truck, but I am a little heavy on the pedal (Ok a lot heavy on the pedal). Basically from stop light to stop light the truck will definately defuel before I get to 50 mph.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonJAWhite View Post
I think my truck did perform a little better on the 275 (old Hot Damn tune). I guess it's not getting enough air for the 300 tune. I don't race the truck, but I am a little heavy on the pedal (Ok a lot heavy on the pedal). Basically from stop light to stop light the truck will definately defuel before I get to 50 mph.
Ya alot of us are stop light racers some just more than others we don't put these chips on for no reason right. I would step your tune down before you do some damage to your truck. I had my old truck an 03 6.0 hopped up with a high horse tune and blew a head gasket cause i was naive about the EGTs i just didnt know much about it at that time and learned my lesson the hard way. I am alot more careful about it with my 6.4 I definatly dont want to pay to replace those head gaskets.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.