Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Any fuel additives worth trying for the 6.4??

27K views 29 replies 20 participants last post by  STROKMII 
#1 ·
wondering if i should try any additives for my 6.4 stock and or with a spartan
thanks for the help
:icon_ford:

#4 ·
good point

that makes sense but i saw a guy on a post saying he was getting 17 mpg stock cause of a addative he used???
im getting 10 if i drive soft:dunno::dunno:

thanks

#9 ·
that makes sense but i saw a guy on a post saying he was getting 17 mpg stock cause of a addative he used???
im getting 10 if i drive soft:dunno::dunno:

thanks

You definately need to tune/delete your truck.

#5 ·
I've been using Stanadyne in my truck for the last year or so and believe that it has helped. Boost's Cetane level, help's in fuel/water separation, and acts as a lubricator especially when running winter blend fuel. It's all on the web site. I'd recommend it, however please feel free to do whatever you feel is best for you $50K truck "An ounce of prevention...."

Performance Formula - Stanadyne

#6 ·
now I do believe in using something for anti gel in the winter but the rest of it is just snake oil just my opinion. I track my mileage meticulously and have never seen a difference using or not using nor have I ever noticed the truck running any different on or off the additive.

#8 ·
I have tried using Stanadyne, the Ford stuff and Diesel Kleen. Didn't notice much if any difference with the Stanadyne. I noticed my DPF cleaning was less frequent with the Ford product. I then started using Diesel Kleen and noticed even less frequent DPF cleaning. I did notice an improvement in fuel mileage. Maybe 1mpg. I was impressed and told a friend that has the same truck. He noticed an improvement in his truck. He was so impressed with it he started putting it in all his trucks and equipment. He is a small sitework contractor. I was recently talking to him and he decided to stop using it in is truck as a test and he immediately noticed an decrease in fuel economy. Needless to say he started using it again. Both truck are 2008' s and stock.

#10 ·
10 doesn't seem right. I have gotten as much as 20mpg imperial which I believe is 17 us mpg. That is all highway driving and driving at 60mph. It is all hand calcualted. I have been keeping a fuel log for about 2 years. My truck is an 08 club cab with 20" wheels. I installed the 4" air dam on the truck and I noticed an increase of 1mpg. I also have a cap installed. I am not sure of the improvement this has made but I am sure it has helped.

#11 ·
I have used a fuel Additive from BG products, they make some of the best gasoline and diesel additives that improve deposit control. I have used this in my fuel every tank for 38k. It is very important in my opinion to lubricate the fuel system when using ULSD fuel. I also use their DOC oil conditioner in every oil change. Read up on it. bgprod.com
BG Diesel Fuel Lubricant with Conditioner
BG Diesel Fuel Lubricant with Conditioner is a superior multi-functional fuel supplement. It provides the necessary film strength and lubricity to low-sulfur and ultra-low sulfur diesel fuel to prevent fuel pump and injection parts from scoring and seizing. This diesel fuel additive complies with the Federal low-sulfur content requirements for use in diesel motor vehicles. It will remove deposits from the fuel system and prevent their re-forming. Two ounces (60 mL) of BG Diesel Fuel Lubricant with Conditioner treats up to 40 gallons (150 Liters) of diesel fuel. Catalytic converter and oxygen sensor safe.
Part No. 227D

#12 ·
#14 · (Edited)
I was wondering the same, so since I started using it Diesel Kleen, I figured I'd see what it does, if anything.

Here's some analysis of my hand-calc mpgs plotted against odometer since buying the truck new. Hey, I'm an engineer :)

Blue line is mpgs. If I eyeball a running average, looks like I get about 14.5mpg. Sharp upward spikes are straight 250mile++ freeway shots, station to station. Sharp drops are always due to long regens. Between 10K~15K, I had a couple of long trips down to LA but I was using truckstop fuel. See how mpgs suffered. The rest of the time, I used Shell or Chevron.

Brown line is a running concentration of DK in the tank starting from when I first started using it. Drops in concentration are the times I forgot or didn't have any DK to pour into the tank.

DK recommends 80oz/250gal = 0.3oz/gallon concentration. Looks like I'm averaging less than that, so I'm wondering if I'm not pouring in enough to do any good? It certainly didn't seem to help much when I was using truckstop fuel.

The engine does seem to run quieter when DK concentration is up. Regens 'seem' to be less frequent too. I added a 6th order polynomial trend line on the mpgs (there's no option for anything higher)...I don't see any strong correlation of using DK to any big increases in mpg, although it seems to be going up a bit. But that might also be attributed to my tires wearing down too.

I think fuel brand has more to do with mpgs than anything else. I'm using mostly Shell these days...I seem to get the best mpgs and the least regens with it. We've recently started getting summer fuel, so I do see an upward mpg trend...

Attachments

#15 ·
I have been using opti lube and what a difference, after about a tank or two the injectors were noticably quieter and I had more power. Not sure if it helps mileage cause I dont check it but they claim 1 to two MPG I like how it takes care of injectors and boost power.

#19 ·
I've always used Fords additive and just switched to XDP's

XDP Diesel Power Plus Fuel Additive

The main reason is where I live the Octane is 40 out of the pump, I know the 6.4 is recommended to run 45 so I always use a cetane booster

I might try that Rev X , 6 point increase is nice

#20 ·
I run stanadyn in the winter in every tank of fuel. In the summer I will add stanadyn with bio diesel for one tank, then change my fuel filter. After I change the filter I will run one more tank of normal diesel with stanadyn to relube the system after the bio diesel has cleaned alot of the gunk out.

#21 ·
I am more concerned with fuel system lube. as a dodge owner as of today and 6.4 owner tomorrow (trading the goat off and have VERY mixed emotions) i know that dodges can avoid alot of fuel pump problems by adding diesel kleen, red trans fluid, or 2 cycle outboard motor oil to lube up injector o-rings, and pump rings. anyone run that stuff in 6.4?

#23 ·
I have to say the 6.0 I just traded off once i Started using the stanadyne perfomance formula i noticed a big difference and ran it for about 18 months and decided to finally pull the EGR valve and clean it the truck had 98,000 on it and as far as i could tell it had never been removed and to my surprise there was only a very light coating of soot on the valve which i wiped off completely with a paper towel that and the fact that Stanadyne manufactures injection pumps and designed the additive to prolong the life of the parts they make got my vote that and never had a gel up during the ND winter with my truck parked outside and only getting started one day every two weeks

#24 ·
im looking for somthing to help the longetivity in my 7.3l and 6.4l. the 550 6.4l got 11.5 stock nooooo matter what with the mods i have i get around 17 give or take.... im good with that..(4.88s) and i want to make sure it lasts long and i want somthing that is fairly cheeap and i can buy somewhere... thanks

#25 ·
Hey guys, I just got in touch with a company that my good friend used to work for called biofriendly. They have a product called green plus that is a catalyst to improve the burn of both gas and diesel fuel. They will be sending me a few bottles that I will test. Check out there site if you want at biofriendly.com. They have tested worldwide with trucking companies, shipping companies and even a ford testing facility in the UK. I was told their ecommerce site will beep in a few weeks to make it available to all.

Anyways, I'll keep you posted on the results. I just ordered some dpx diesel Power plus, so I'll ask the guys if I can run the greenplus in conjunction with that. It would begreat to get the mpg gains from them both. I'm considering a dpf delete and I hope this will give me the gains I need so I don't have to.

Until next time.....

#26 ·
sounds good

that sounds great. write back on here after results!!

thanks

#27 ·
I work at a Dealership and this is what we use as our fuel service products on gassers, I have used this stuff on ALL of my cars gas or diesel.....I have seen it work and its AWESOME:thumb:
If you can find a dealership or some other place that sells BG products buy the 244 for the duel system and when you change your engine oil add the DOC .....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.