Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

This weekends trip

853 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Ipkyss 
#1 ·
Went from MA to PA this weekend. 300 miles each way. I was towing a 28ft enclosed. Combined weight right around 20k. Took I-91 to I-84 to I-81. Some fairly good hills, mainly in PA.

Ran the Spartan 300 on the way down. Other than a little surging pulling a few long hills, it was good. Tons of power. Temps all stayed in check. Truck never had to downshift even when I was slowed up to 60 on a few hills. Boost sat right around 42-45 up most hills.

Trip home I ran the Spartan 250. First time I have used the 250 since the update. Really nice tune. NO surging on hills at all. Smooth power. Shifts were smooth. Makes a perfect tow tune for me. boost was right around 35-38 up most hills. Both tunes seem to have a max of right about 1100 egt on long hills which is lower than I was expecting.

I would say towing is fine with the 300, but I would keep it in the 15-16k combined weight range. This is speaking as far as temps and what my short trip says. I would not start hauling through the mountains with it.

#4 ·
Here in the mountains of Colorado on a good day I can tow in the 250 tune if people stay the hell out of my way. EGT's will get up to 1200 in the last half mile on the passes if I have traffic issues. Otherwise I can pull most of them no problem. The 210 tune I have to really try to pull those same hills and have my EGT's get above 1000. These are 7 and 8% grades give or take 5 or so miles long. I dont think I could pull any of the hills in a 300 or above tune. Never tried, but not sure I want to since my 250 starts getting hot and forces me to let out of cruise control.

#5 ·
The 300 is a good tune. The one thing I found with it though is with the trans relearn. I could not do a relearn with it. It just would not shift right to begin with. Over the coarse of 2-3 days, I slowly started using a little more and more power and it shifted perfect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.