Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Least amount of black smoke?

3K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  6.4 and 16 
#1 ·
I have the basic tunes for the Spartan. Which tune is going to give me the least amount of black smoke? I loaded the 250 tune, and it had gobbs of black smoke with about 50% throttle. Is that normal? Which should I use for DD. Thanks.
Matt

#3 ·
I daily drive the 250 tune and as long as I dont punch it there is little to no black smoke, just a light haze from a stop but cleans up fast. As you said 50% throttle and above will net some pretty good smoke. If you want no black smoke, load the 210 tune. It is a pretty clean running tune and will still net you some decent MPG's.

#6 ·
6.4 and 16 did you buy this truck used? If so are you sure there is no programer loaded on the truck? A stock truck shouldnt smoke especially with the DPF still in place. If a stock truck smokes at all it will be a very light haze from a dead stop if the truck is in regen? What does your intake filter look like? Is it dirty or clogged? Less air to the motor will cause a little more smoke but nothing that will black out a road.

#12 ·
blackcloud2k my truck is perfectly stock and always has been full ford factory service every 5,000 miles(only reason i say this is because ive known the people i bought it from since it was originally purchased) he was also very against "voiding the warranty" to get decent economy and power... i feel like its got a bad injector or two im about to do dpf/cat delete with afe stahe 2 si pro guard 7 filter and h&s minimaxx just wanna make it quit blowin smoke stock before i do that as you could probably see it wouldnt b good blowin that much smoke after its already been filtered also it sometimes blows smoke at idle!!! what in the world is up with my truck?!?!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.