Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

EGR Delete

12K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  FukeneH 
#1 ·
I recently went to the local diesel performance shop in town to get some information and details on doing an EGR delete. They sell an in-house made plug/block off plate design that costs $380 which seems reasonable to me. However, the price of labor absolutely shocked me. I was quoted 10 hours at their hourly shop rate of $126/hour. The mechanic says it usually takes 6-7 hours depending on how easily the EGR cooler assembly wants to come out. My question is, does an EGR delete really take this long? $756-$1260 in labor seems like an awful lot of money.

#3 ·
The parts are not too bad but if you look around online you can get them for cheaper. If you have a free weekend I would try and tackle it yourself, it may take you the better part of the weekend but it will save you a ton of money. there is a lot of info on doing this and some kits even come with instructions.

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies. The parts price seems very reasonable to me. I wasn't even second guessing the price. It was just the amount of labor that shocked me. They had an '09 F350 in their shop with all the deletes and it was getting bigger turbos so the cab was up in the air and the owner and mechanic showed me the EGR delete (where the bolt/block off plates go) and it looks quite invasive and difficult to get to everything without the cab off.

They quoted me $3300 for parts and labor for an AFE Stage II CAI, 5" single aluminum down pipe back Flo-Pro exhaust, H&S MiniMaxx, and mounting pod. Maybe, they'll "deal" on the EGR delete kit too. Still in the process of pricing things out.

#5 ·
you should just try and do it yourself. I did mine cab on. its time consuming so plan on a long day. I got mine from dirty diesel customs. Also if your kit comes with the new intake elbow make sure to get a new gasket.

#9 ·
All that looks pretty high your exhaust is o lt 304 shipped. I bought used cai and programmer. You might want to look in on that. Also I been researching the egr delete, if you are mechanically inclined then ya I would pay someone.

#10 ·
Are you talkin Canadian bucks for the DPF delete kit. Nope in USD that would be $3414. That's way too much. They would be charging you $500/hr for labor or ripping you off on the price for the parts. The install is 1 wrench out of 5(5 being an engine rebuild) You could probably find someone else in the area that's already done it, offer 'em a few beers, and bam, a new wheelin buddy and your truck's running awesome.
My two cents.

#13 ·
Yes, Canadian Dollars. The MiniMaxx is $1000, the gauge pod about $75, AFE CAI $425, 5" Flo-Pro exhaust $650. Add in sales tax and labor and I get a grand total of $3300. Everything but the exhaust seems to be pretty much the same price from online retailers like XDP, Rolling Smoke Diesel, etc. :dunno:

#11 ·
Though mechanically incline, I tore into my 06' 6.0l to replace the STC fitting on the HPOP, couple cuss words, but all in all, i think I used 8-15mm sockets, maybe some u-joints and extensions. Time consuming yes, difficult, not really. Never worked on a diesel or even thought of buying one till about 6 months ago. labor rates are just too much.

PLUS, it gives me a reason to buy more TOOLS!!

#14 ·
#15 ·
$1000 + $75 + $425 + $650 = $2150 Any place around here that you order from your aren't paying tax and some places you can get free shipping to your house or lets just say you pay $200 which is outrageous. That leaves about $1100 for about 3-4 hours in labor. I'm just saying... if you look around on here you can easily teach yourself to do the install.

Just priced out everything you want for $1842 USD -$1783 CAD. No tax. No shipping cost. They might charge you a little to ship to Canada, but not $500. Took about 5 mins. I'm surprised none of the vendors have come on here to offer you a good deal. Happy hunting.

#16 ·
what all is included in this egr delete kit? Is it just plates, or is it a more complete system with intake elbow and everything? Like was said, do it yourself. Its not that hard, just time consuming. It will save you alot of pocket change even after you buy pizza and beer for your buddies that help.

#18 ·
From my quick glance, it looked like it was just plates. Didn't see any plates but saw two or three bolts that were screwed in to block it off. Nothing remotely resembled the Sinister EGR Delete kit with an elbow.

#17 ·
Sorry. I was talking about the DPF delete kit he was looking at. 5 mins was the time I was referring to looking for a better price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.