Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Which sytem for new diesel owner

1K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  larry782 
#1 ·
Hey all,

New to diesel power. 08' F250 6.4L, looking to maximize hp, fuel economy, and torque for towing 8-9k lbs. Not interested in getting all fancy and removing DPF, and messing with warranty. Any recommendations on a system somewhere in the 1-2k price range. The Banks Six-gun seems decent. Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

#2 ·
I'm in the same boat as you.....I want to delete so bad, but I am too worried about the warranty and emissions testing. I have been looking at the Banks Six-Gun too. I was thinking about doing an intake and DPF back exhaust with the Six-Gun?

Anyone?

#3 ·
You will see little to no gain in MPG's and power by not removing the DPF. You may see a slight difference in power by tuning with out removing the DPF, but the seat of the pants meter will barely register. The only real way is to take off the DPF and tune it. I have read a few people tuning with out removing the DPF, and sometimes the truck ends up going into regen more often because there is more soot building up in the DPF. This in the end gives you worst mileage.

#4 ·
well depending on your servicing dealer, the Banks will probably void the warranty also. Mine says any mod and my warranty is history. Some on here have local dealers that will work with them, but I think most just look for a reason to void the warranty.
I was looking at the Big Hoss Bundle from Banks to keep my DPF, but as soon as my "friendly" dealer answered a few direct questions, I took a step back. Now don't know which direction I will go, as I still have about 55K miles left on my warranty.

#6 ·
if you don't want to take the dpf off, save your money and use it on fuel. it's not worth tuning it.:beer:

#8 · (Edited)
Haven't heard too many good comments on any of the Forums about the Banks system on the Ford diesels.

The Spartan Dash Daq system is supposed to be "virtually undetectable" by the dealer. Not sure about H & S or Innovative, which would be my second & third choices. The tuner and the DPF/CAT delete is the only way to see any mpg increase in these trucks.

I've run Spartan on the 5 diesels I've owned and couldn't be happier with the mileage increase (although it wasn't as significant as I'd hoped, maybe 1 to 2 mpgs) and the performance gains. I'm not a "racer", just like having the extra horsepower & torque for towing, passing and smoking a new Camaro every now & then.

#9 ·
If you even programme the truck it will void the warranty it may not show up in the trucks ecu but if the motor goes and they tear it apart they will see were the truck threw the extra fuel in the motor and it leaves a imprint on the cylinder head and there goes the warranty.

#10 ·
My heads have been off of my truck on two different occasions. Neither time was any kind of marking/star pattern present. My truck has been tuned for over 70,000 miles and most of that has been with the big Spartan tunes.

#12 ·
Negative on that. If the tuning is good enough, you don't have to worry about that. I have seen multiple trucks with their heads off both in person and in pictures running what most would consider good tuning and absolutely no star pattern.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.