Updating H&S firmware with a MAC? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-30-2011, 10:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 29
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Updating H&S firmware with a MAC?

I'm running an ancient version of the H&S firmware and need to update it. I have all MAC computers at work and home. I downloaded the new firmware and followed the directions as best I could: downloaded, opened, dragged and dropped into the SD card and told it to replace the existing files.

I installed the SD card in the tuner and tried the "Update Firmware" tool. It took a few seconds then blacked out and chirped 5 times, which as I read, is normal. However when I look at the firmware version, it is still the old firmware. WTF?

Any tips, or do I need to go use a PC at a library or something. All my buddies have MAC's too...

THX!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 04-30-2011, 11:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Trumansburg, NY
Posts: 161
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Are you sure you are uncompressing the file you download first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 04-30-2011, 12:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 385
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The T.V. number in the show settings screen will only update when you reload the tuning onto the truck. Make sure after you are updating the firmware that you also install the download onto the vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 04-30-2011, 06:00 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 61
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by LXXXTSY View Post
I'm running an ancient version of the H&S firmware and need to update it. I have all MAC computers at work and home. I downloaded the new firmware and followed the directions as best I could: downloaded, opened, dragged and dropped into the SD card and told it to replace the existing files.

I installed the SD card in the tuner and tried the "Update Firmware" tool. It took a few seconds then blacked out and chirped 5 times, which as I read, is normal. However when I look at the firmware version, it is still the old firmware. WTF?

Any tips, or do I need to go use a PC at a library or something. All my buddies have MAC's too...

THX!
I dealt with the same thing. I finally called h&s and he told me it will only work with windows. I went to my buddys place of business and used his PC and it worked flawlessly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 04-30-2011, 06:18 PM
Diesel Addict
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Saskatoon
Posts: 380
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to CanuckF350
I have only ever updated mine on my Mac, works perfectly fine. Make sure once back in truck to scroll to bottom and update firmware, when done scroll to top and install download like you did when you first installed it. should work I would think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 04-30-2011, 06:23 PM
Diesel Addict
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Saskatoon
Posts: 380
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to CanuckF350
Quote:
Originally Posted by work truck View Post
I dealt with the same thing. I finally called h&s and he told me it will only work with windows. I went to my buddys place of business and used his PC and it worked flawlessly.
Unsure why you have had issues using a Mac. No problems what so ever when I do it. Have updated 4 times now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 04-30-2011, 06:54 PM
Serving Our Country!
 

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Nevada
Posts: 233
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have done it with Linux. I deleted all files on the sd card, and downloaded and copied over the entire sd card. Then I copied over the latest software 6.4.23 etc.... install firmware and then download to my truck. Might just have to wipe the files on the sd card first and "build" your firmware from the root/dir files. Its doable !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 04-30-2011, 07:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 219
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have a Macbook pro and updated on Friday without any trouble. When you are extracting the zipped file just click "open with" then archive utility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 05-01-2011, 11:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 29
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by H&S Tech View Post
The T.V. number in the show settings screen will only update when you reload the tuning onto the truck. Make sure after you are updating the firmware that you also install the download onto the vehicle.
Thanks guys. This was the problem. It showed the old TV even after I updated the firmware. I reinstalled the HS tune and bingo-bango, it showed the current TV.

On a side note, I tried the new shift stratgey and it is SOOOOOOOOOO much better than the old one! Well done!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors