Diff lockers with heavy towing in mind - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2011, 09:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Diff lockers with heavy towing in mind

I'm in need of lockers for my 08 f350 drw. I'm tired of getting stuck on flat wet grass when I have the 18000 pound fifth wheel hooked to it. I really have two questions;

1. What would be the best chioce for rear locker (I' pretty sure the rear is a 37 spline Dana 80). I was thinking the detriot tru trac , but are there better options out there ?? I use the truck for heavy towing almost every time I start it up, 18000 pounds is hooked behind it 80% of the time.

2. What about the front. I know its a dana 60, but which dana 60 ( 30 spline, 35 spline ,16 spline, reverse 35 spline ). And which locker here. I was leaning toward the eaton E-locker, but I haven't heard anything about this locker being used in HEAVY DUTY applications. Any thought / insight ???

Last edited by Antonm; 04-27-2011 at 10:35 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2011, 10:05 AM
Serving Our Country!

Send a message via AIM to 1tonpower
i would go selectable. look into OX locker. i know they make them for the d60. it is cable operated and vary durable
Old 04-28-2011, 06:43 PM

Any other opinions out there. All you big horsepower guys out there still run the stock open diff ???
Old 04-28-2011, 07:07 PM

I would put an ARB Air locker in the front. That way you could set up a small tank and have on board air for filling tires, ect... A true trac would be a good choice for the rear. And if you wanted a little cheaper route, True tracs front and rear. If you are driving in the snow, I would go with the ARB in the front hands down. Lockers/ limited slip in the front make driving in the snow a little interesting. And just so you know. A true track is not a locker, It is a very good clutch less limited slip. An ARB is a full locker.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:07 AM

Did all the trucks came with a limited slip?
If so mine has worked pretty well. Just remember the harder you shock the limited slip the better it grabs.
If I was going to put lockers in my truck it would either be the air or electric.
The 2011 I saw at work has the electric in the rear, pretty cool.
I have air already on the truck, so air would be the way I would most likely go.
I would just be a little worried about a gear type locker that is locked with power on the street with a load. Something has to give in turns.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.