Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Manually Cycling EGR Valve

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  blackcloud2k 
#1 ·
I asked this within another discussion (attempted hijack!) but never got any replies.

Instead of lowering tunes once a month (?) to cycle the EGR Valve, could I rig up a toggle switch of some sort to activate it periodically?

I don't know the EGR Valve works for sure, I'm asssuming a DC actuator, and don't know if it has wiring to read actual valve position (feedback).

Anyone ever consider this? It would REALLY save alot of messing around with tunes, tranny relearn, etc.

#3 ·
I'm a diesel noob so please forgive the dumb question. I'm curious why you need to cycle the EGR monthly? I've had my EGR turned off via my SCT tuner for a couple of weeks now and this is first I've heard of needing to cycle EGR periodically.

#5 ·
Well that makes sense. More sense than having the damn thing in the first place.

#7 ·
Yeah, some Spratan tunes cycle at idle too. I just happen to run the 275 which doesn't cycle at all. So rather than having to load a tune that cycles on occasion, I'd like to just be able to excersize the components when its convenient; like a couple times a week at a long stop light or something.

#10 ·
I emailed Casey at H&S and he says the 6.4 will cycle on start up as well.

#11 ·
Here was my question:
(1) I have heard that KEM tunes cycle the EGR at idle. Is this true??

(2) When I loaded the 210 tow tune, I selected "yes the EGR has been disabled". Was this the right thing for me to input? FYI, I have not done any modification to my EGR. I was told to select yes by some more experianced diesel guys. I just wanna make sure I am not messing anything up
Here was his response:
Some of our files do cycle the EGR at idle, depends on how they were ordered. I would select the options according to what has been done to your truck. Sometimes selecting an option which does not apply to your application can result in unwanted results.

#13 ·
To me it seems like it would be impossible because the EGR valve is controlled by the ECU? Maybe I am wrong in my thought process though. If it were possible the question is would it set off a check engine light because you are cycling the valve with out the ECU telling it to?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.