4" exhaust with muffler=stock quiet, intake noise thoughts. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2011, 11:52 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4" exhaust with muffler=stock quiet, intake noise thoughts.

I installed my new 4" exhaust, downpipe back with a muffler, this weekend and took her out in the hills for some fun. Other than the DPF/CAT being removed I cant even hear a difference in the sound. So if anyone is looking to get a less noticeable set-up, this may be your key .Comments... Also what intakes seem to be the loudest and which ones seem to be quieter? Need more flow now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2011, 04:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I had a straight 4" before this weekend, put a muffler in it.
I loved the sound with the straight pipe, but it was LOUD on the outside. Inside was fine. I started to get looks from Johnny Law pulling my trailer through town. With the muffler I can still hear it inside, outside it is not as loud.
I put in the Diamond Eye muffler that is perforated and packed.
Intake - I just used a drop in, but I am sure anyone of them with an open top would be the loudest. I can hear mine more with just the drop in.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:30 PM
Serving Our Country!

And I am running the mild tunes. The less smoke I make = less attention I attract while the goodies are installed.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:38 PM

I am running the Innovative Street right now, might see how it does towing 18000# and check the temps. Might be too hot to run with 105 degrees outside. The tow tune so far has been great.
Before I put a muffler on the truck I had the Xtreme Street driving back from Bakersfield. A CHP was next to me and kept looking at the truck, more so when I took off. That is when I decided on a muffler. At least they wont notice the sound as much.
My 96 Impala gets enough attention, Dual 3" will do that.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:36 PM
Serving Our Country!

Most CHP here wouldnt know what to look for anyways. Another benefit of actually having a muffler is at a quick glance, everything looks legit. I had window tint on the front windows too, but I have since took to off. ANYTHING I can do to not draw attention and get mileage is my goal ! (Im up by fresno)
Old 04-26-2011, 09:21 AM

They might not know what to look for but they do have ears and my truck was loud without a load and really load with a load. I went to high school and college in Fresno.
Actually come up pretty often.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:23 PM
Serving Our Country!

The muffler helps out a lot with that ! You ever worry think twice about running your deletes here? I have been driving like a granny to mileage and not make smoke when ANYONE is around...lol
Old 04-26-2011, 03:59 PM

Do you guys have any random check points you have to go through down in Central or Southern Cal? I live in Northern Nevada, but drive though Northern Cal quite frequently. Im always seeing CHP but never check points. I know they are pretty aggressive up here for speeders and such, not so much on Diesels unless they are cranking the smoke out. Probably a Southern California issue mainly with the smog and the bigger cities...
Old 04-26-2011, 11:13 PM
Serving Our Country!

Not that I know of. I travel often between central Ca and the Carson area. I wouldnt run the hot tune through any of the passes though. I know they have weigh stations and the occasional DUI checkpoints. Just be smart about it you will be fine.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:18 AM

I have never seen one. But I do live near the Oil Fields. I have been told that some are down south, but the same, never seen one.
I am not afraid of the delete, the noise. The smoke is one thing, but doing it with a bunch of noise towing a trailer is not a good idea with the way the economy is. I wouldnt have a delete if it wasnt better for the truck and MPG. My 6.0 was deleted also. But it makes a much bigger difference on the 6.4's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.