AFE Issues... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2011, 02:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
AFE Issues...

First Post...Hey friends, I need some insight...
I have an 08 F350 with the 6.4 and it was equipped with the Edge Racing Evolution, MBRP DPF delete, and the Stage 2 AFE intake setup with the pre-filter sock and the 5 layer filter. The filter and sock were both dirty and I had no cleaning kit and am the type to have a spare filter handy so I went to order one up, long story short, I was informed that this intake was an inferior "Early developed" setup and that being as it was in stock and available, I could buy the better Stage 2 SI setup, this intake has the Proguard & filter with sock on it. I bought it and had it thrown in with only minor issues. I went for a spin to be certain there would be no codes or issuses. Once the truck was up to temp, I did a good hard run with it and was disappointed to find my EGTs are nearly 200 degrees higher at WOT than they were with the old dirty "inferior" intake..... I am confused... any of you fine folks have any light to shed?
Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2011, 04:40 AM

Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me will chime in here but my guess is that your increased egts are from a leaner fuel mixture. I know that the egts get hotter with the increased HP tunes and my understanding is that the higher HP tunes have leaner mixtures.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The part that really confuses me in this, is that the only piece of the equation that actually changed resulting in the increased egt's, was the air kit, from the Stage 2 to the Stage 2 SI... You are spot on about the hotter tunes resulting in higher egt numbers. I am new to the Powerstroke world, but have fairly considerable experience in the Cummins land... the air kit on that unit sure had a lot more space to fit in...lol
Old 04-24-2011, 06:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

new filter is probably filtering the air better, in turn feeding you less air. Less air/ more heat, higher egts... you wanna test it, do a run with the air filter and with NO air filter. Exatcly the same distance, wot, check egts at the end of both runs, shouldnt change at all for a good air filter
Old 04-24-2011, 08:27 AM

I wouldn't run it with no air filter.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:34 AM

running a quick run with no air filter wont hurt anything.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My confusion is in the fact that the dirty (less flow) old filter setup, has higher EGT than the brand new and clean (high flow) filter setup.... the only thing that has really changed from one kit to the other that may affect the egt's would be the coupler setup that goes onto the inlet on the turbo, it has an internal bevel that "funnels air into the turbo for improved volumetric efficiency for maximum performance" Not sure...
Old 04-24-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Powerstroker6.0 View Post
running a quick run with no air filter wont hurt anything.
not unless it sucks some debris in the inlet pipe
Old 04-24-2011, 11:29 AM

If you search the past threads a couple of people have posted about sucking in the filter minder with the si intake. Tells me it really does not flow as well as the older design. In the diesel world things are opposite of a gas job more fuel equals higher egts until u get so over fueled you are putting out the fire. If you don't have enogh air it will get hotter.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:35 AM

What ever you do do not take the filter off and do a test run that is stupid these engines suck so much air you will clean the engine bay out lol and the road. And all that dirt will be in your engine and turbo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.