reconsidering my tuner choice, advice welcome - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2011, 07:09 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
reconsidering my tuner choice, advice welcome

my truck is an 09 f350srw cc,lb 6.4L (8500lbs) and I was going to go with the livewire 9625or, but after receiving and installing our livewire 9600 in my brothers built 6.0L i am truly not a fan of the size and cable routing of the unit.

Now, i have heard nothing but good things about the sct, my brother is currently running a canned tune until I email the strategy over to Innovative (where we purchased eric's package from) to receive their tunes, and its been a major improvement even with those mods.

I hate clutter and do not want the big livewire in my truck, call me obsessive but whatever.

I need help deciding on which tuner to go with.

Ive read good things about H&S black maxx & Phalanx, but the SCT TSX ive heard mixed reviews.

whichever option I decide on I'd like to get custom tuning for, I know Innovative is the big name in SCT, but what vendors do custom work for H&S?

I tow heavy for my business (15K lbs.) and recreation (about 10K enclosed) a few times a month so a good tow tune is necessary, but this fall I will be doing alot of commuting to law school about 35min each way on the highway and we do alot of road trips so economy is important and I want this thing to run like a raped ape so a good xtreme tune is important as well.

I have an afe 4" dpf/doc delete pipe waiting for install and a pg7 drop in filter, I can get a afe stage 2 intake if necessary (prolly will be for the high tunes)

so what do you guys think? I have also considered a cheaper tune only sct unit and going with an insight as a monitor, but I like the idea of 1 all-in-one tuner/monitor unit more.

thanks for any insight in advance guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2011, 07:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
H&S mini maxx, hands down. It's very small (little bigger than a credit card) but easilly viewed, FREE downloads and software upgrades, one single wire, different mounting options, you can get custom KEM tunes, has multiple power levels to choose from, shifts smooth, and fantastic customer service.

This is my own experience and research about the other tuners.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:16 AM

if you are wanting custom tunes, i would probably go with innovative. i've heard a lot of good things about them. as for H&S, i have no idea if they do custom work or not, but i know a lot of guys that are really happy running their tunes. as for spartan, they don't do custom tuning right now, but i think they are looking to do it in the future. i run the spartan and love it, but you sound like you know exactly what you are looking for. so if it was me, i would give innovative a call and see what they say.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:29 AM

just doing a bit more research on the spartan and they are out of my price range, I would like a unit that can do more thean 300hp tune and its seems that I have to pay and arm and a leg for spartans tune package, stock 1250+ 400 to get just the 310(and 275)

whats the diff between mini and black max?? the black maxx is just a tad bigger than my droid phone and i wouldnt mind that at all. i like that the canned tunes are shift on the fly on that unit.

i also like that the 300hp file is free from H&S which will satisfy me for a while and then i have the KEM 345 option for down the road.

now i seem to be leaning in that direction, any negatives with this unit??
Old 04-23-2011, 08:20 AM

Difference between black maxx and mini maxx is the ability to use Active Maxx when it becomes available. Active Maxx will let you tweak your truck on your own. You can mess with fuel, timing, etc. While on the mini you just get tunes ( H&S tunes/ KEM tunes) and just download them into the tuner. If your concerned about price, I'd recommend the XRT Pro. You get all the same tunes the mini and black maxx get only thing is you won't have monitoring gauges. All you can do is load tunes on it. I do believe H&S does custom tuning you just have to give them a call. I love my Mini and the great customer support H&S has.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:12 AM

ive learned my lesson doing my own tuning when i had my blown monte carlo and dhp power tuner on my laptop. never enough time to drive around and datalog while inputting maf and ve table values into the excel converter lol.

the mini sounds like a good deal, not a fan of the way the xrt looks, plus i definitely want to monitor the vitals.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 066.0 View Post
just doing a bit more research on the spartan and they are out of my price range, I would like a unit that can do more thean 300hp tune and its seems that I have to pay and arm and a leg for spartans tune package, stock 1250+ 400 to get just the 310(and 275)

whats the diff between mini and black max?? the black maxx is just a tad bigger than my droid phone and i wouldnt mind that at all. i like that the canned tunes are shift on the fly on that unit.

i also like that the 300hp file is free from H&S which will satisfy me for a while and then i have the KEM 345 option for down the road.

now i seem to be leaning in that direction, any negatives with this unit??
With the new software update you get the 275 with the standard package.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:58 AM

I just hit 3k miles on my truck and I tuned it at 2k and I am sure glad that I did....I went with the Mini Maxx and I love it.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:24 PM

THe Livewire is big, that is why mine stays in the center console.
Get this from Eric and get the Edge Insight.
SCT 3025OR 6.4L Off-Road X3
I would have bought that instead, but it was not out when i did my order.
The Insight has worked great for me. I am not into "Hey look I have a tuner". I have the Insight on top of the steering column pushed as far back as I can get it. Most people dont even notice it. It is small enough that I can still see all the gauges, minus the digital display in the center.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:51 PM
Warheads on Foreheads

loving my minimaxx, so H&S has my vote!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.