DPF Delete only or DPF/Cat Delete ??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2011, 01:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question DPF Delete only or DPF/Cat Delete ???

I am new to the forum and have just purchased an 08 F-250 crew. I have seen that the best setup is to get rid of the DPF system to gain fuel mileage and a little performance. I was wondering if you guys could steer me in the right direction and help me choose what to get.

When I purchased the truck it came with the SCT tuner in the glovebox(unknown which tunes are loaded on it) and a full 5" Magnaflow straight thru from the downpipe back to include the 6" polished tip. Well this was an issue at the MA state inspection garage because they immediately knew the catalytic converter was gone after seeing the giant exhaust tip and looking underneath. It failed so now I have the stock exhaust back on the truck. MA inspection/emmissions is just like the California limits.....Unfortunately.

I would like to know what I should get to help boost fuel mileage and help my power a bit. Is it better to get a DPF delete only pipe and keep the cat in place or is it better to do the DPF/Cat delete pipe and why?? what are my advantages of doing away with one or both??? I would like to do the delete pipe setup and keep the stock tailpipe setup so it is a little more stealth to the average joe. It will also be easier when it comes time for emmisions testing to swap it back and forth.

What tune setup should I run to get the best possible everyday driving without doing any engine damage or screwing up my nice new truck? The SCT Tuner screen gives the option of (Stock, Trans only, Performance, or Extreme) .

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated with this.

Matt- 08 F-250 Crew 6.4 Powerstroke
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2011, 08:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I went w/ the dpf delete only because for me it was just easier to buy 1 sensor and keep in the old one. Plus it is just a few bolts around the dpf. The gasket was a little torn but still usable for now. Aaron at Rudys said if you keep the cat in place you should from time to time get the exhaust pretty hot to clean out the cat. I have been tuned for 10k miles and no signs of cat sutting up. Don't forget to check out custom tunes from KEM. Just like everyone else says on this forum, custom tuning is the way to go. Couldn't be happier. I went 125 hp tune from KEM and it is perfect for me. 18-19 mpg on the highwaya nd about 12 around town w/ 37's and 4.10 gears. Hope this helps
Old 04-17-2011, 06:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I went with the DPF/DOC delete also.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:48 PM

got the afe 4" dpf/doc delete pipe sitting in the garage for now. ordering the livewire this week cause idp just figured out the problem with their tunes with the new update from ford.

any truck 10K gvw and over is NOT required to get e-check here in OH, even though my county is only like 1 of 6 out of 33 counties that even require e-checks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.