Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

cold air intake afe stage 2 si

7K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  fordfish 
#1 ·
i just bought my first diesel(2008 f250 fx4)and am going to install the afe cold air intake stage 2 si, i spoke with a salesperson and he told me i might have to do other modifications like retune the air mass or something... was wondering if anybody could tell me if this is accurate or just BS
any replies would be very helpful
cheers

#2 ·
JUST PUT MINE ON THIS MORNING ...under an hour for the install. no modifications needed

#3 · (Edited)
No Problem

I have installed many intakes on the various performace vehicles that I have. I decided to buy the AFE Stage 2 SI with a PG7 filter after doing much research and speaking with my buddies at Left Coast Diesel. Here is what I learned.

Fit and Finish: The AFE parts are very well built. Nothing on the unit looked cheap. All the parts were included and with some extras like gaskets for the MAF.

Install: Install was pretty quick, took about 45 minutes. The only tricky part was attaching the intake tube to the turbo. It was easier to put the coupling on the turbo first then place the tube on it. Then connect the air box to the intake tube. Tighten everything once it fits right. Also, the MAF sensor wire was too short to reach. All you have to do is pull it out a little, like 3 inches, from the tidy wire set up from Ford that has electrical tape over it. Then re-connect the MAF. The metal intake channel fits well over the battery and lines up with the airbox neatly. There are no additionaal tuning needs and nothing needs to be adjusted unless you run a tuner. So far no codes tripped and supposedly this new intake does not trip the codes like the other ones. Not sure why though, but again so far no codes.

Performance: Once tightened, I turned the truck on and noticed a different sound. You can definately hear the intake air difference. On the road, with the windows down, the truck does sound throatier unde acceleration. aAt idle, the truck sounds normal from the tailpipe area. I definately can feel the difference in throttle response. As far as MPG's, I have put two tanks through it and have an increase of 1.4mpg. I am now up to 14.6mpg. This was all hand calculated. The only thing on my truck is a DPF back MBRP exhaust. I am planning to put a HS Mini Maxx tune on it to round it out.

#5 ·
I have installed many intakes on the various performace vehicles that I have. I decided to buy the AFE Stage 2 SI with a PG7 filter after doing much research and speaking with my buddies at Left Coast Diesel. Here is what I learned.

Fit and Finish: The AFE parts are very well built. Nothing on the unit looked cheap. All the parts were included and with some extras like gaskets for the MAF.

Install: Install was pretty quick, took about 45 minutes. The only tricky part was attaching the intake tube to the turbo. It was easier to put the coupling on the turbo first then place the tube on it. Then connect the air box to the intake tube. Tighten everything once it fits right. Also, the MAF sensor wire was too short to reach. All you have to do is pull it out a little, like 3 inches, from the tidy wire set up from Ford that has electrical tape over it. Then re-connect the MAF. The metal intake channel fits well over the battery and lines up with the airbox neatly. There are no additionaal tuning needs and nothing needs to be adjusted unless you run a tuner. So far no codes tripped and supposedly this new intake does not trip the codes like the other ones. Not sure why though, but again so far no codes.

Performance: Once tightened, I turned the truck on and noticed a different sound. You can definately hear the intake air difference. On the road, with the windows down, the truck does sound throatier unde acceleration. aAt idle, the truck sounds normal from the tailpipe area. I definately can feel the difference in throttle response. As far as MPG's, I have put two tanks through it and have an increase of 1.4mpg. I am now up to 14.6mpg. This was all hand calculated. The only thing on my truck is a DPF back MBRP exhaust. I am planning to put a HS Mini Maxx tune on it to round it out.
totally agree with above. I have had mine on for almost two years. Great product no problems at all.

#4 ·
I have one on my job 1 and I didn't see any noticeable change in anything, mileage or sound. But the fit and finish was great and I would recommend it. I heard something about the older ones throwing codes but the newer ones have the maf set at an angle and don't throw codes. Just don't expect much without a dpf delete and a tuner. IMHO oh and getting the tube on the turbo was a bi***

#6 ·
So have they fixed the fitment issues? I had heard that some people on here that bought that intake and had to modify and hack it all up to make it fit. It sounds to me like the fitment issues might have been fixed with some of the newer intakes but just wanted to confirm thats its not just hit or miss.

#8 ·
Mine wanted to hit the wire harness cover on the firewall, very good other than that. If youre tuned and running a 250+ I think they're a great addition, if you not tuned, you might just get a high flow filter that will go in the stock box. I even cut out my fender intake tube to open that up to the side fender badge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.