Looking to upgrade some stuff - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2011, 07:24 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Looking to upgrade some stuff

**UPDATE**
Will this CLEAR a 5" PIPE.
this is the stock exhaust with obviously the air bags and shield. the thing holding be back right now is what diameter to go with 5" or 4"...

Hello,

I am new to the site and am in need of your help on choosing some parts.

Im looking to get some better performance and mileage out of my truck. I have been looking into the dpf back mbrp 5" exhaust and the s&b intake, i would like to keep the dpf until my warranty expires at 100k and I am at 78k.

I have a few questions about the exhaust, the truck has air bags on it and a gooseneck hitch will there be some clearance issues with the 5". Being in the construction industry i tow all the time i have a 5 horse goose neck featherlight trailer that i tow every weekend, dump trailers, i haul tractors for the job sites and anything else big trailers so the exhaust and intake is much needed.

Also about tuning in the future when the warranty expires i will most likely tune it. but for now not so much. All and all I am looking for some minor gains to help the truck breath a little bit better. Are these good starter parts to help me on the way?

Also i have been searching youtube for videos of the 5" dpf back exhaust and i cant find any does anyone have any?

Thanks,

Last edited by SCE Construction; 06-24-2011 at 07:44 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2011, 05:02 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCE Construction View Post
Hello,

Im looking to get some better performance and mileage out of my truck. I have been looking into the dpf back mbrp 5" exhaust and the s&b intake, i would like to keep the dpf until my warranty expires at 100k and I am at 78k.

I have a few questions about the exhaust, the truck has air bags on it and a gooseneck hitch will there be some clearance issues with the 5". Being in the construction industry i tow all the time i have a 5 horse goose neck featherlight trailer that i tow every weekend, dump trailers, i haul tractors for the job sites and anything else big trailers so the exhaust and intake is much needed.

Also about tuning in the future when the warranty expires i will most likely tune it. but for now not so much. All and all I am looking for some minor gains to help the truck breath a little bit better. Are these good starter parts to help me on the way?

Also i have been searching youtube for videos of the 5" dpf back exhaust and i cant find any does anyone have any?

Thanks,
Personally, I'd wait until you're ready to tune and delete the DPF. A DPF back exhaust will do absolutely nothing for performance or mileage, strictly looks only. As for the intake, you may get lucky and see .5-1 mpg better but thats a really conservative estimate.

Unfortunately the gains come from tuning and deleting.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

5" might have some clearance issues with the airbags, the GN hitch wont matter a bit though.

A DPF back kit is not going to do much of anything for performance or sound since the main restrictions are in the DPF/Cat.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:30 AM

Agreed. I wouldn't bother getting anything for the exhaust or intake until you're ready to do the whole thing. The DPF is so restrictive that even straight piping behind it does nothing. Gotta get rid of the whole thing.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:03 PM

Welcome to the org!!! I deleted my truck @ 10k, now have 25k and love it! IMHO if you're not going to do it all I wouldn't do any of it! I have the S&B CAI & am very happy with it, but I'd be suprized if you see any gains out of it without a delete & tuner!
Old 04-14-2011, 04:01 PM

my thoughts with going with the dpf back was that run that for a bit cause i can get it super cheap and the intake at the same time, and then get the delete and tune. just to get stuff out of the way for now.
I totally understand about the restriction with the dpf. i will take a picture of how close the air bags are to the stock exhaust if you guys can give some insight.

thanks
Old 04-14-2011, 05:28 PM

I got all my stuff at once, still have not put it on yet. But I have a extra used AFE intake I can sell ya for 100 + shipping. :-)
Old 04-16-2011, 01:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCE Construction View Post
Hello,

Thanks,
If you are looking at a DPF delete in the future, you might want to take a look our Phalanx flash console. Since you are wanting to keep the emissions equipment intact, the Phalanx comes with both DPF-on and DPF-off tuning. DPF-On gives you the option of running a 40HP, 75HP, 120HP, and 150HP file, yet will still be at the ready when you decide to do a DPF delete- the DPF-Off files are also included for the same pricing.

The 40HP or 75HP DPF-on options would be ideal for you, given what you've described as your uses for the truck. Both files will help utilize the intake and exhaust mods you've mentioned without adding any extra stress to the powertrain while towing.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanDieselTech View Post
If you are looking at a DPF delete in the future, you might want to take a look our Phalanx flash console. Since you are wanting to keep the emissions equipment intact, the Phalanx comes with both DPF-on and DPF-off tuning. DPF-On gives you the option of running a 40HP, 75HP, 120HP, and 150HP file, yet will still be at the ready when you decide to do a DPF delete- the DPF-Off files are also included for the same pricing.

The 40HP or 75HP DPF-on options would be ideal for you, given what you've described as your uses for the truck. Both files will help utilize the intake and exhaust mods you've mentioned without adding any extra stress to the powertrain while towing.
I agree!
Old 04-16-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanDieselTech View Post

Thank You for such a great response i have been looking at your website daily debating on the phalanx console. I had been reading on some of the forums about the recent ford notice that i got in the mail to come get some software updates. Will this effect your software? Can you answear this for me.

One other thing i wanted to ask is, my son is quite big in the aftermarket industry building the likes of 1000hp supra's, Twin Turbo Corvettes etc. He had mentioned that as i bump up the power an external wastegate can be put on to controll the exhaust gas diverting it away from the turbo at load. He said for me to ask about this on Diesel set-up's and about using a diverter valve, Does this make any sense sorry this is new to me.

Last edited by SCE Construction; 04-16-2011 at 06:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.