DPF / CAT & EGR questions. I'm new - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2011, 04:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Smile DPF / CAT & EGR questions. I'm new

Hello, I have a 2009 6.4L Harley edition and ive finally decided to start modifying the truck. I've been scanning through these forums vigorously the past few days. It seems like I really want to start with the DPF/CAT delete with no muffler. That DPF seems to me like the route cause of most of the problems everyone is having. I have a few questions on this.

1. When you get the delete kits installed and have the straight pipe in it's place what happens to the EGR vales? I thought they were somehow part of the DPF system. Or am I totally wrong?

2. If so will I need to buy a EGR full delete system to further get away from future major truck malfunctions. Ive been reading and I know there's 2 options, the ERG block and the full Delete. I would go full delete.

3. If I need the full EGR delete what is the cost range and would there be anything further to do after that or am I safe to say I'm all set.

4. I'm not looking for massive HP or torque gains. I just want to save my truck from this horrifying DPF. So which tunner do you recommend?

5. I've called my dealership and talked to the diesel mechanic and he said he would do the full install for me and keep my warranty. Lucky for me I live in Saskatchewan in Canada where there are 0 emission laws and therefor ford won't deny any of this work for me nor void my warranty..... Unless it's proven to be the cause of any damage done. Which I'm sure you all know how well that turns out for the customer is most situations. But anyways since I'm not looking for any HP gains or mods from tuners would ford beable to do there own tune for me to just get rid of the DPF censor warnings and anything else related? Or is that impossible for them to do? I forgot to ask him but will be talking to him on Monday again befor I go ahead with all my purchases. Sorry this has been long but This is my first diesel and I'm kinda new to all this.

PS truck has 46000 KM completely stock and I've done every scheduled maintenance by the book and have never had a single problem, YET .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2011, 07:36 AM

I just got my trk too and got started where u did...be sure and get tuner with egr/dpf disable capabilty, bc not all of them have egr control. And spend $20 for some egr block plates, slotted. I got the sc 1856 and the power increase is NASTY! Im running the 3rd of 5 tunes 96rwhp/220tq. I have a heavy foot and am reading 16.5 all the time, 3 tanks so far, with factory tires.
Anywho, from what I understand the egr can b left on with dpf/doc delete, there just may b a chance of egr cooler leakage after use with it operable or disabled. If u really want it to b 100% epa UN-handicapped, u will need to install egr blocker plates and disable egr on tuner...no trouble codes either. I doubt a dpf free trk with a strict 5k oil/10k fuel filter maintenance schedule will ever need to see the inside of nursing home....I meant dealership. However, to play it safe I too have the 200k ESP and I will remove anything not oem on my trk bf it would have to go to service...that tech is not gonna back u up if water infiltrAtion grenades ur motor. Its an easy install that cat b done completely in two hours by a novice, hell, if ur close to nw la/east texas I'd help ya! We can talk u thru it. If at all possible get tuner/delete package that's bung free, if not buy the two from ford that will break when u try to remove them, so if u ever have to return to factory u will have everything needed. It seems like a lot but pm or email me........always happy to help a stroker! !!
Old 04-10-2011, 07:46 AM

Cost-$700 sc 1856 tuner dpf/cat delete
$1000 Spartan tuner dpf/cat delete

1856 is picked on for canned tunes, but it has stretched my ear to ear grin even more.easy to use, easy to update/upload. 40-240 rwhp tunes...I don't have a spartan but frm what I have read its easy to use, and has crazy power tunes, up to like 350hp! Its also extra $ to transfer to another trk. My buddy has one and he does get 1-2 mpg better though
Old 04-10-2011, 07:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The DPF and EGR are in totally different places, but both need to be deleted for reliability sake. I know there have been lots of threads about the block off plates or full delete. The plates are just more of a fix while the delete will actually increase reliability.
H&S, Spartan, and SCT are the main tuners that provide emission deletion programs and all of them seem to do their job more than satisfactorily.
I have the Spartan and its been a blast.

Id say either way you go, deleting will help keep your truck problem free.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well my trucks booked in for Friday morning. I went ahead with the DPF/CAT delete with 4". The mini max tuner and an intake. I was talked out of the EGR delete. Thanks everyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.