Stupid Ford - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2011, 02:59 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Stupid Ford

So I bought a Spartan tuner, and dpf delete pipe. It should be delivered within the next couple of hours from ups. So yesterday, I take my truck in for service, oil, oil filter, fuel filters and theres and oil leak on my bell housing. I had to leave the truck there overnight because they didn't have time to look at the oil leak...no big deal. I get a call from the service manager, they want to put dye in the oil because they can't find where the leak is...Okay, now they tell me I have to drive the truck 300 miles, at least 30 miles each time, so they can find the leak. I've had the truck since Feb, 2009, its a 2008 I bought new, and its only got 16000 miles on the ODO. 300miles, @ $4.50, @ >10mpg really blows. Now I have to pay $135.00 in diesel so that the techs can diagnose my truck?!?! What a crock...

-Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2011, 03:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

thats a bummer on the fuel bill and all that stuff and that its leakin but just think on the bright side dude once ya get drivin it and they find and fix the oil leak then you dont gotta worry about it. then you can install all the new goodies and have some more fun and get some mpgs out of that truck with no oil leak to worry about it. good luck with it all hope it gets all worked out!
Old 04-06-2011, 04:00 PM

Probably something stupid like the drain plug.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'll jump in to the mech's defense. As an aircraft maintenance officer and a wayward youth growing up in a mechanic's shop I can assure you that if there is an oil leak that has been going on for a relatively long time, it will spread oil all over the place under there and if the leak isn't a fair flow worth, you can in no way tell where the origin of that leak is. I'm dealing with the same thing right now on my sister's rig.

I will say, picking 300 miles is totally arbitrary and MAY result in the same problem if the leak is of sufficient size. The dye will be all over the place. They should be looking at the rig after each 30 mile segment to try to find the origin BEFORE it just becomes a big dye smudge. I actually AM surprised they are giving it back to you for this...the show where I grew up would have actually used me to do that driving after I got my driver's license. We know dealerships have drivers for various tasks, they should be using on of those and eating the cost of the fuel to get you fixed up.

Defense and turnabout poke in the eye over...
Old 04-06-2011, 06:02 PM

dont call it a stupid ford.
trucks just like you have feelings to
Old 04-06-2011, 06:08 PM

I went and picked up the truck...looked underneath, no oil. I did how ever push on the small plastic cover on the bell housing, and guess what, oil came out. Did they just not clean this, or is the oil leaking? I guess i'll just wait untill the oil leaks out onto the bell housing again.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000 7.3 6speed View Post
dont call it a stupid ford.
trucks just like you have feelings to
My feelings are hurt because of Fords lack of innative to take care of the customer. Ford should have one of their tech's drive the truck as many miles as it takes to locate the leak. Theres an obvious oil leak, so it's my responisbly to keep checking it so Ford doesn't have to? This is a minor problem but really pisses me off. I guess I see what I have to look forward to in the future with Ford...
Old 04-06-2011, 06:20 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to southern7.3
Thats just it, its a minor problem. don't let it get you all bent out of shape. Stuff breaks and it has to be fixed. Thats on any truck. Maybe the dealer isn't doing exactly what you want done, I agree 300 miles is arbitrary and they could probably find the leak a better way, but this one very small problem shouldn't turn you off to Ford.

You didn't say its was knocking, ticking, smoking, and leaking 4 and 5 quarts of oil underneath the truck. Must not be that bad
Old 04-06-2011, 09:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

I know of several 6.4's that have had leaky bed plates. Good luck with it.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:59 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern7.3 View Post
Thats just it, its a minor problem. don't let it get you all bent out of shape. Stuff breaks and it has to be fixed. Thats on any truck. Maybe the dealer isn't doing exactly what you want done, I agree 300 miles is arbitrary and they could probably find the leak a better way, but this one very small problem shouldn't turn you off to Ford.

You didn't say its was knocking, ticking, smoking, and leaking 4 and 5 quarts of oil underneath the truck. Must not be that bad

A truck with only 16000 miles shouldnt be leaking at all. And he wouldnt notice it running out, the regen process is good for filling the crankcase back up.

My 6.4 was leaking out the front and rear mains at 20k. One of the reasons I got rid of that pos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.