Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

So my trannys shot.....

3K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  08stroker250 
#1 ·
Any advice on what to upgrade while I have the replacement on the stand??

#3 ·
64K no towing....slips badly in R and 4 and 5 from what I can tell....It limps every time I try and drive it. Truck was fine, just over 60K so I decided the trans fluid needed a change. Had the Shell Rapid lube flush and fill trans and noticed a diff in the way the truck shifted and the converter locked. Within a few days the truck started slipping in R a little and would limp when I jumped on it. I assumed they put the wrong fluid in it so I went to the Ford place and got the fluid changed today and within about 30 min it was shot....When I went back to shell to get my $$ back @ Shell the manager told me that they didn't even use the Mercon LV Fluid, they added some sort of additive to make the regular Dexron/Mercon work with my truck...What kinda BS is that?? Pretty sure the clutches are burnt

#7 ·
what is your opinion on the Rebuild kit, vs the full suncoast trans? Full suncoast is out of my price range. I really don't see myself going much further than a stock motor with a 310 race tune. Maybe at some point a slight upgrade on the turbos.

#5 ·
They are gonna have to pay for it.....I have a reciept tht says they added an additive and cleaner to the trans and a document from ford saying that lv must be used and any additives or cleaners will damage the trans.....so thats iron clad in court!

#10 ·
I would go and spend the money for a COMPLETE built transmission.... From Suncoast or the Elite unit, direct from the FACTORY.

My Suncoast (which was rebuilt by a Suncoast Dealer) has been apart 3 times, and is in need of a complete rebuild and another torque converter.... in 24,000 miles...... My tires last ~28,000 miles, so I am not beating on my stuff.......

It will cost more initially, but may save BIG money in the short run!

Mike

#13 ·
Chatted with SL from Sun Coast and a full trans and Torque converter install is something like $5.5-6K.

#18 ·
I am have around 23k on my truck since it was tuned. I tow quite a bit and I am not always the nicest to it. I plan to see how long it last. If I get some good mileage out of the stock trans, I will just rebuild it with some better clutches...

#20 ·
Was the intermediate shaft a stock or suncoast unit? What were you doing when it broke? That is my biggest worry at this point. My trans and converter seem to be holding up good.

#21 ·
My intermediate shaft was a OEM unit that broke..... I was plowing and all 6 wheels were spinning..... hard. This was a result of blowing out my back window from an unsecured snowblower that moved forward in the bed, followed by WOT, wheel hopping then neutral when the shaft broke...... That is also most likely why my torque converted failed........

Mike

#22 ·
Sounds like a bad night of plowing. I guess its safe to safe it broke from a shock load then. That is what I have been being careful of.

#23 ·
They will hold up to a lot of abuse, but something like that will definitely kill one. I know Rudy's drag truck was on the stock intermediate for a long time. It probably has an Elite shaft in it now, but his stocker held up to 10 second passes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.