Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Stack or not?

2K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  Beatngu 
#1 ·
considering putting a single stack on my truck and I am trying to weigh out the pros and cons of it. I don't know anyone locally who has one (or two) so I can't have a listen or ask for an opinion. So, I'm asking you guys.

I guess the only "pro" would be that it looks kinda cool. Maybe I could just get some opinions on the drawbacks. Limiting use of bed? Bedliner melting? Cab noise? Rainwater(?).

#2 ·
Takes 8-9" off your bed length, no bedliner melting, cab noise?? get a honda if you're worried about that, rainwater is nothing to worry about.

#9 ·
Every mod is gonna have its pro/cons, supporters/those who don't.

As for the drawbacks to stacks:
1) If you're looking for a mellow exhaust, and cab-noise is a concern. Don't stack it.
2) You will lose 6-10" of bed space, depending on stack installed and the heat shielding.
3) Have a bed liner sprayed in, the plastic slide-in types will interfere with mounting.
4) Rainwater, though a concern, is easily handled with a small hole drilled at the base of the Y-pipe to 90* connection.
5) Be careful not to go too big / small with the stacks, 5-7" tend to look best and on a dually 8"s
The last thing I would advise, if you tow a trailer particularly, if you're running or plan to run a tuner, and it smokes. That diesel soot will cover your bed and the trailer.

I hope that's a little more helpful, I've been looking at stacks, but they don't fit the rest of my build. Keep us posted with what you decide, and how it turns out.

#12 ·
Stacks either look great, or terrible. Usually nothing in-between. I am partial to single 6-7" black mitre cut stacks, but think they are best fit for competition trucks. Some street driven trucks can really pull a stack off well though.

#14 ·
Here is my thought on stacks. I put stacks on my 04 back in 05. At the time. I think I may have seen one other truck anywhere in the area with them. I thought it was different and cool. Sounded amazing. I really liked it. They have been on there ever since. Now, you can't drive anywhere around here without passing another truck with stacks or a single stack. Its really played out around me. Time to change up my 04 again. I do have to say the truck looked nice with them. They were 5" and the same height as the cab. I saw one truck a few weeks ago with the stacks at least 5 feet higher than the cab. I felt like pulling over to slap the guy...

#17 ·
I love the way they look and sound but don't want them in my ear all the time. I guess I'm getting old too. I passed a guy the other day that had flappers on his, it sounded cool just tappiing away.

#19 ·
slash cut stacks 6 maybe 7" are great. Especially on the 6.4 which tend to be more quiet compared to the 6.0's and 7.3's

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.