Sct TSX vs Spartan??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2011, 07:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sct TSX vs Spartan???

OK, I need advise on which tuner would best achieve the results that I'm looking for. The truck is an '10 F250, 6.4L, 4x4, C/C, SWB. I am more interested in safe reliable power than I am with high dyno runs, drag races, etc. I have ordered a Flo Pro 4 inch downpipe back DPF/DOC delete exhaust kit and a S&B CAI. I have heard great things about the Spartan but is it safe/reliable for long term use?

Second, with safe power and reliability in mind...is there a need or benefit in physically removing the EGR system? I understand that the tuners will disable it, but should it be removed? Are there any concerns with removing it?

Thanks in advance for any advise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2011, 07:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
i would throw the H&S unit in that mix...
Old 03-29-2011, 08:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Removing the EGR completely will help in the reliability department, but not so much in the warranty department. If losing your warranty is not a concern, then by all means go for it. Also, you may want to look in to whether or not your state does emissions testing on diesels or not. Putting the DPF back on for testing isn't a big deal. Putting the EGR back on would be an unwanted hassle.

I recommend Spartan. If you have any questions about the Spartan tuner, feel free to PM me.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:41 AM

Each has it pros and cons but SCT has the ability to have tunes from IDP, Elite, River City, Kem, and others installed on it. With a Spartan you only can run Spartan tunes. Tunes have benn shown to be safe for the long term on these trucks but if you run them hard tuned they will need trans upgrades.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Of the two listed, I would definitely go with the Spartan. My personal favorites are the H&S tuners though, especially the Mini Maxx.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:24 PM

I just kept up with a 6.2L Raptor tonight on the 210 tune. The thing I like about this setting, is I can't over boost, and I gotta work to get my EGT to 1400deg. Did I mention my mileage went up by almost 5 MPG?! (not racing raptors )
Old 03-31-2011, 09:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I was dead set on a Spartan but after reading through all the posts, and just looking at all the pros and cons, H&S was the best IMO. It has alot more options, and you dont have to pay for some simple stuff like changing ur tire size. Plus you can get KEM tunes and others, to me the KEM tunes are like getting the spartan option, because KEM used to work for Spartan and put them on the map. Spartan claims to be nondetectable, but I don't know about H&S, can't get any real answers to that topic, and usually comes down to if they look hard enough they can see you had a tuner. I mounted my pod next to the fold out cup holder, on the inserted piece that you can only fit ur wallet maybe. I didn't want it sitting up on the dash, nor leave fade marks, plus if I get pulled over its not right in the cops face. (Trying to avoid that one)

Anyways, Im super happy with my tuner, no regrets, and would recommend it to anyone. Plus customer service is top notch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.