how much boost is too much boost? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2011, 04:46 AM
Dont Mess With Texas!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
how much boost is too much boost?

Ive got the H&S Mini Maxx, afe stage II intake and just a dpf/doc delete pipe with stock muffler and tailpipe...

the h&s has defuel settings on it and i have the boost defuel set at 41 PSI, i dont know where i should have it set at

but if im running 65 mph and i stick it to the floor before i hit 75 mph my truck is already defueling, should i adjust it and raise it or what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2011, 07:17 AM
Dont Mess With Texas!

anyone have any idea on how much boost i should allow?
Old 03-28-2011, 07:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would say you should be fairly safe in the mid to high 40's. I am right around 40-42 towing with the spartan 250 on long hills. 55-59 with the 310 tune having some fun.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:52 AM
Dont Mess With Texas!

so you think i would be ok at 55 lbs just for a short period like playin around?
Old 03-28-2011, 07:59 AM

From what I've read on a stock truck I think the max would go about 38-40#s. I don't remember the defuel level the mini comes with but I would say 45-50+#'s would be pushing it, unless youve got headstuds. Again I'm not saying something will happen if you do..just be smart about it. Ive seen about 42. Another important thing would be the pressure that is being made. Creating too much boost, and letting off the throttle...the pressure has no where to go (no wastegate or BOV) and it wouldn't be a good thing.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:20 AM
Dont Mess With Texas!

10-4 thanks for the info demon

i think i will raise my defuel setting to 45 max just to be safe but still be able to pick up some speed on the highway without getting slapped in the face
Old 03-28-2011, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE SILVER BULLET View Post
10-4 thanks for the info demon

i think i will raise my defuel setting to 45 max just to be safe but still be able to pick up some speed on the highway without getting slapped in the face
A little off topic but thats a sexy glock you got in that pick i got one 10mm ported sooo nice!!!!
Old 03-28-2011, 08:48 AM
Dont Mess With Texas!

sweet gun studdage
Old 03-28-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDemon09 View Post
From what I've read on a stock truck I think the max would go about 38-40#s. I don't remember the defuel level the mini comes with but I would say 45-50+#'s would be pushing it, unless youve got headstuds. Again I'm not saying something will happen if you do..just be smart about it. Ive seen about 42. Another important thing would be the pressure that is being made. Creating too much boost, and letting off the throttle...the pressure has no where to go (no wastegate or BOV) and it wouldn't be a good thing.
My truck was only stock for a short period of time, but I remember it running around 36-38 stock pulling hills.

If its defueling all the time, it would really aggravate me. No way I would say your safe at 55lbs of boost, I was saying it has not been an issue with me. I am expecting to do studs sooner or later. I will wait till its an issue though. Everyone says if you look at a 6.0 the wrong way it will pop a headgasket and warp the heads. It has been race tuned since there have been race tunes. Going on 7 years with no issues.

Basically what I am saying is, there is no way to say your safe at 50, but the motor will self destruct at 60. Its all how you use the power. I don't think twice about seeing 56psi from 60-100 on the highway. Its only a few seconds. Just don't go pulling a 15k trailer up a 5 mile hill at 50psi. See what I'm getting at? Try not to do a donut, followed by a 50ft burnout while difting into a 0-100mph run. Or you could... Its kinda fun
Old 03-28-2011, 01:01 PM
Dont Mess With Texas!

10-4 good buddy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.