Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

how much boost is too much boost?

9K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Expirobo 
#1 ·
Ive got the H&S Mini Maxx, afe stage II intake and just a dpf/doc delete pipe with stock muffler and tailpipe...

the h&s has defuel settings on it and i have the boost defuel set at 41 PSI, i dont know where i should have it set at :dunno:

but if im running 65 mph and i stick it to the floor before i hit 75 mph my truck is already defueling, should i adjust it and raise it or what?

#2 ·
:bump: anyone have any idea on how much boost i should allow?

#3 ·
I would say you should be fairly safe in the mid to high 40's. I am right around 40-42 towing with the spartan 250 on long hills. 55-59 with the 310 tune having some fun.

#4 ·
so you think i would be ok at 55 lbs just for a short period like playin around?

#5 ·
From what I've read on a stock truck I think the max would go about 38-40#s. I don't remember the defuel level the mini comes with but I would say 45-50+#'s would be pushing it, unless youve got headstuds. Again I'm not saying something will happen if you do..just be smart about it. Ive seen about 42. Another important thing would be the pressure that is being made. Creating too much boost, and letting off the throttle...the pressure has no where to go (no wastegate or BOV) and it wouldn't be a good thing.

#9 ·
My truck was only stock for a short period of time, but I remember it running around 36-38 stock pulling hills.

If its defueling all the time, it would really aggravate me. No way I would say your safe at 55lbs of boost, I was saying it has not been an issue with me. I am expecting to do studs sooner or later. I will wait till its an issue though. Everyone says if you look at a 6.0 the wrong way it will pop a headgasket and warp the heads. It has been race tuned since there have been race tunes. Going on 7 years with no issues.

Basically what I am saying is, there is no way to say your safe at 50, but the motor will self destruct at 60. Its all how you use the power. I don't think twice about seeing 56psi from 60-100 on the highway. Its only a few seconds. Just don't go pulling a 15k trailer up a 5 mile hill at 50psi. See what I'm getting at? Try not to do a donut, followed by a 50ft burnout while difting into a 0-100mph run.:crazy: Or you could... Its kinda fun :hehe:

#6 ·
10-4 thanks for the info demon

i think i will raise my defuel setting to 45 max just to be safe but still be able to pick up some speed on the highway without getting slapped in the face :doh:

#8 ·
sweet gun studdage

#10 ·
10-4 good buddy

#11 ·
gotta love the 10mm! Ive hit 57psi on the 275 tune towing a trailer...and that just happen to be when my truck puked the first time. Im not saying it had to do with the boost because there are many other factors that play in, But i would stay safe and set your defuel for 48psi...stay below 50. but if you gotta race turn that SOB all the way up lol

#12 ·
Try not to do a donut, followed by a 50ft burnout while difting into a 0-100mph run.:crazy: Or you could... Its kinda fun :hehe:[/QUOTE]

I would love to watch that:nod:

#13 ·
Try not to do a donut, followed by a 50ft burnout while difting into a 0-100mph run.:crazy: Or you could... Its kinda fun :hehe:
I would love to watch that:nod:[/QUOTE]

I hate to admit it, but it was definitely a hold my beer and watch this kinda thing... Will NOT be happening again anytime soon. I really try not to abuse my truck at all, but sometimes I am overcome horsepower and smoke...

#15 ·
Yea he should be good to go now. :icon_ford:

#16 ·
Well some jacka$$ cut me off after riding my butt for 15 miles while I was towing this weekend. Not a big trailer, just my atv and camping gear. Pulled up next to me at the stop light. Gave him a look and puffed a little smoke out. He took off when the light changed...well he tried to at least. I smoked him going up hill with my trailer and Mini Maxx on HDTow. Hit 38 psi boost and didn't skip a beat.

Bastard...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.