New Mini installed WOW!!! Thanks PTP!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2011, 04:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New Mini installed WOW!!! Thanks PTP!!

So I installed the Mini last Friday, the DPF/DOC pipe yesterday, and downloaded the extreme tunes with 45 TC lockup today and went out for the trans relearn.

All I can say is WOW!! The truck can now breath and it is a totally different animal. I can't wait to pull the fiver with it. You can definetly tell it isn't working as hard to get up to speed at all. The 0-60 and 0-80 WOT pulls were unreal. Turbo lag was gone. I had my 18month and 3 year old girls strapped in the back seat and they were giggling so hard I found myself laughing out loud. The 18 month old kept saying "gigin" ( again), and the 3 year old was screaming "WOW that was fast". I hardly noticed any smoke either. I also am glad to get rid of that awfull dpf/doc induced wierd exhaust smell, and get back to smelling a real diesel exhaust.

I still had the stock air box on and EGT's never rose above 1160. Friday with the Mini installed and running " no power DPF installed", I was hitting 1300 pretty easy on hard accelerations up to 50mph. I can't wait to see how it is once the S&B is installed.

The TC locked up around 42 mph ( on the speedo) and just pulled hard from there. I really can' t believe how different the truck acts. On just the mild setting, the rear end broke away at 30mph !!!

We then went back into town to grab some pizza. I take the same route and drove the same way as I did Pre Mini and one thing is for sure, the boost usage is totally different. There are some small hills where the boost would rise above 20 at 45 mph, and now it never rose above 15. Obvious fuel savings there!!

I would really like to thank all the members who posted tricks and tips on how to take the DPF off. With no lift and truck on the ground, I was able to get it off and the delete pipe installed in just under 1.5 hours. If I would have had an air ratchet I would have been done even sooner, that outside downpipe flange bolt was a bear to get out. I could only get one click of the ratchet at a time....

I would like to thank Nate at Performance Truck Products. Great customer service, super fast shipping, and he answered all my questions throughout this whole process. I ordered from the website on a Saturday, the Mini and S&B were on the porch Tuesday, and the Diamond Eye was there on Thursday. I usually don't put stickers on the rear window, but if you have any stickers laying around Nate, send me one. I would be glad to display one in the window.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2011, 06:43 AM

That is awesome news. Keep us posted on your results. I am just about to order my mini or BM. Just haven't decided which yet. I am really interested hear your results pulling your fiver and what tune you used. I am in the same boat. About to pull my fiver bone stock to get a baseline then go from there.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:08 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Very good. Congrats..
Old 03-23-2011, 11:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
I would like to thank Nate at Performance Truck Products. Great customer service, super fast shipping, and he answered all my questions throughout this whole process. I ordered from the website on a Saturday, the Mini and S&B were on the porch Tuesday, and the Diamond Eye was there on Thursday. I usually don't put stickers on the rear window, but if you have any stickers laying around Nate, send me one. I would be glad to display one in the window.
Thanks man, I sure appreciate it!

We are actually working on a few new sticker designs, I will let you know.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:09 AM
Don't you worry about it

Ugh I'm so TIRED of reading all these dam posts about Mini Maxx's. Im saving my a$$ off trying to get one and from my calculations right at the time I will have enough... I will need new friggin tires! Looks like I will be running slicks for a little bit.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:48 AM

i feel your pain brudda!

I am another one of the po' folks in North Carolina.

I am selling aluminum beer cans as fast as I can empty them!
Old 03-23-2011, 01:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to Dim Sum
Keep saving those pennies! The mini-max and buying through Nate are two great choices .
Old 03-23-2011, 02:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgesb51 View Post
That is awesome news. Keep us posted on your results. I am just about to order my mini or BM. Just haven't decided which yet. I am really interested hear your results pulling your fiver and what tune you used. I am in the same boat. About to pull my fiver bone stock to get a baseline then go from there.
I pulled our fiver ( in my signature, roughly 10,000lbs+ loaded) in 2009 and 2010 the same route to the same campground.

Mileage handcalculated: ( the campground is about 340 miles away and these are from when I filled up as we got close)

2009- 256 miles/26.2 gallons at 65 mph with a regen cycle = 9.8 mpg
2010- 274 miles/23.2 gallons at 65 mph WITHOUT a regen cycle= 11.8 mpg

So you can see a regen while pulling our fiver ate 3 gallons of fuel!!!

I can't wait to see what it does now on a mild tune tune. I will have to wait until late July as we have reservations at the same campground so I will be able to have a really great comparison as I take the same route every year. We have our fiver parked at a permanent spot so I only move it once or twice a year now. But I pull the boat alot....
Old 03-23-2011, 02:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarpuller08 View Post
I still had the stock air box on and EGT's never rose above 1160. Friday with the Mini installed and running " no power DPF installed", I was hitting 1300 pretty easy on hard accelerations up to 50mph. I can't wait to see how it is once the S&B is installed. .
Well an update:

Last night I installed the S&B airbox with oiled filter. It went in pretty easy actually and I had no issues with trying to get it to "fit" as I had read in others post. Maybe it is because I installed it, then put the hot air intake snorkel ( the one on the back of the airbox) afterwards.

Anyways I took it out and did the same route as before and did a couple 0-50 WOT as before while on the third highest power level. EGT's never rose above 1120, so there was a 40 degree temp difference. And cool down time after returning home was alot faster. And there was a definite difference in engine sound. It sure growls now like it should.

I told myself when I bought the package it was for MPG only.... but oh man is this thing a beast!! Bring on the Mustangs, Camaro's, etc...

And to think this is a 8,000lb truck. SWEET!!
Old 03-24-2011, 02:10 PM
Warheads on Foreheads

congrats man!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.