Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Turbo lag on Spartan?

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  smotrs 
#1 ·
Just ordered my Spartan w/delete tube and AFE, I am wondering about the turbo lag while running with Spartan? Hoping you guy's running it can chime in with some good news.

#2 ·
I think it depends on the tune you run, on mine with the 310 if your running say 30mph and mash the gas there is a lot of turbo lag but when the power comes on hang on your breaking tires loose.

#3 ·
Sure, I know running stock there is a lot of lag, I was hoping that the tuner might get rid of some of it. But even stock, once everything catches up it still sets you back into your seat a little :)

#4 ·
The turbo lag is greatly reduced on most tunes. I would recommend the 175, 210, and 250 as the quickest spooling tunes. Some of the higher tunes dont spool as quick because they use alot of low end fueling which in excess can cause a slower spooling turbo..the real low tunes like the 40 and 75 spool similar to stock. just by removing the dpf your truck will spool quicker.

#5 ·
when i get out of my 350 7.3l then into my 6.4l all i got to say is wow there is noooo turbo lag! my 7.3l is like a powerband!

#7 ·
When my truck was stock, it had so much lag it was almost hard/ dangerous to pull out into fast moving traffic... Now with the Spartan 310. Its almost hard/ dangerous to pull out into traffic without putting the truck sideways... Huge difference

#8 ·
When my truck was stock, it had so much lag it was almost hard/ dangerous to pull out into fast moving traffic... Now with the Spartan 310. Its almost hard/ dangerous to pull out into traffic without putting the truck sideways... Huge difference
Very true. One can also blackout an intersection at will with bigger tunes.

#9 ·
Okay, I got my 250 DPF delete tune, DPF delete, and AFE air filter installed this weekend. WOW! this thing is sweet. I have noticed that at hiway speeds when you get on it, I sure don't feel the turbo lag like it was when it was stock. This thing really gets moving :nod:

#10 ·
Keep in mind, no tuner can just turn off turbo lag. The way a tuner get's rid of turbo lag is by dumping in more fuel right off idle. The extra fuel compensates for the fact the turbo hasn't spooled yet and get's the truck moving simply from fuel. The downside is, this is why most diesels emit the puffs or clouds of soot when they launch.

#11 ·
Its more than just dumping more fuel to make the turbo spool. I can take off ten times quicker almost smoke free with the spartan 310 then stock. The 310 is so responsive you can actually pedal the throttle in a drift. Fuel rail pressure, vgt position, timing. Its not like a 5.9 cummins dumping fuel all the way down the road.

With any tune, you are normally much better off rolling hard into the throttle then just stomping your foot to the floor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.