Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Ford v. Dodge Tuner ???

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  08stroker250 
#1 ·
Just trying to get and idea, most of us 6.4's run the spartan or H&S and unless you get custom tunes the power is pretty close, from what I have read.

Now, what kind of tuners do most dodges run? does their power copmare to a tuned 6.4? It seems like every dodge that sees me wants to cut me off and blow some smoke. A few have been put in there place. I know some tuners are better for different engines. Just trying to get an idea.

#2 ·
Most of the newer higher horsepower dodges with the 6.7 run smarty tuning, I know on my buddies dodge that's what he runs and at PHPs dyno day put down 473hp and 1131tq that's a 6 speed truck with just the DPF and EGR deletes, a air dog and a AFE mega cannon exhaust along with the Smarty.... There was another guy there with a 6.7 dodge running the H&S programmer he said it was on the hot damn tune I think he put down 430hp and like 9xxtq

#4 ·
Put too much power through the Dodge tranny, and you will be laying down some cash.

We are lucky to have the Torqshift....it is a pretty stout unit from the factory.

#5 ·
That's why a lot of the fast 6.7 auto dodge trucks are still running the 4speed out of the earlier common rail trucks the only 6.7 I have personal experience with is a 6 speed tho but the 5.9 my buddy had had a full billet goerend Trans behind it and it was a beast!

#6 ·
Having just come from the Dodge world it is all over the place, but the most prevelant are the Smarty, TST & Edge. In fact the Smarty and TST are often stacked.

I had the Edge Juice w/Attitude on my 2000 2500 and I will never own another Edge product as long as I live, failed within the first year and took over a month to get an RGA# then it took 4 months to finally get the correct unit sent to me after sending me 3 incorrect. Replacement lasted all of 4 months and died.

Not sure about the 6.7, never had any real experience with those.

As far as transmissions, the 4 speed was a p.o.s., I replaced mine with a Suncoast, but ATS is a very popular choice for the Dodges and excellent transmission, would have gotten it but got a slightly better price from Suncoast that unfortunately changed after the transmission was shipped (they conveniently ommitted shipping from my out the door price). That was one of my worst customer service experiences ever, also had some issues after install that were eventually ironed out, but the tranny is awesome.

#7 ·
That was one of my worst customer service experiences ever, also had some issues after install that were eventually ironed out, but the tranny is awesome.
well from when you ordered your trans and what they are now are totally different. They have new owners now and their service has stepped up from the past. And if you ever need to get a hold of someone talk to Dallas he'll get you hooked up. Or call any one of the vendors. My choice is Aaron from rudy's

#8 ·
That's good to hear, I dealt with the old owners wife, she was flat out rude for no reason. That place went down hill after the original owner died and his wife tried to run it.

#9 ·
The fastest 6.7 I know of ran tuning from Smarty. Truck is a QC/SB 07.5 model truck built by Black's Diesel Performance. Fastest pass on fuel was 10.7X and fastest pass ever was a 10.49 on a small single stage of nitrous.

#10 ·
Arons truck was nasty! Hopefully he turns his new 6.7 ford into a beast as well lol

#12 ·
The Dodge 68RFE is a much better tranny than 48. However, the tranny was designed for 640 ft-lbs of torque. The torque converter was beefed up on the HO motor to handle the extra torque.

I own both a Dodge (sons) and mine 6.4L. The torqueshift feels like a much stronger tranny than the Dodge. I only tow so I can't really say what the added power from the tuners do to either transmission.

#13 ·
Stock truck vs stock truck, the 68RFE is the real deal. If you want to build a Cummins, a built 48RE is the real deal. Aron Nick will tell you that. He put a 48 behind his 6.7 because the 68RFE becomes so unreliable when you throw power at it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.