interesting Rant By the owner of Spartan - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2011, 10:02 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
interesting Rant By the owner of Spartan

This was posted By Matt, the owner of spartan diesel tech. To me this indicates the attitude spartan has towards ruling His customer Base as well as respect for his competitors advantages How would you like your Vendor dumping this kind of over the top attitude on you. I have No doubt this kind of prevailing attitude is why Mike walked?
I copied this, its a unmodified QUOTE:
From within just weeks of "KEM" leaving our company, I made our stance crystal clear on KEM tunes with the DashDAQ. It was posted on our forums, and I made numerous posts responding to questions clearly stating that WE DIDN'T SUPPORT KEM TUNES, and it was at the customers risk.

KEM offers what he has for the DashDAQ as a ROGUE EMPLOYEE. Simple as that. He took something he was no longer authorized to use, used it anyways, and sold the product to make a gain from it. We never authorized it, we never supported it, we never recommended it, and we finally put a stop to it- yet some people seem to think we have an obligation to make it work? What was taken for KEM to even market it was a STOLEN PRODUCT, and I have the paperwork from E-Motion, the software company who programs our firmware for DashDAQ, to prove it.

How the hell is that a gray area? How the hell can anyone expect me to cover their losses with KEM performance when I stated from the start that we DIDN'T support it? If you can come here to post, the information stating exactly that was available at any time, as it was a fairly long debate at the time that I had to rehash who knows how many times. I'd like to know how many other business owners out there would let someone walk off with something of theirs, make money off of it, and the original owner just throw their hands up and say "oh well"?

Your post is also a good example of the same need for an update that we've been hearing, and hence the reason I've been spending my time FIXING those mentioned issues.

WoodBoy seems to be the only one with a grasp of what I'm saying concerning custom tuning. I never said I have a plan of stopping custom tuning entirely; I simply said that the updates for strategy flash were higher on the priority list. The custom tuning is and has always been something I did in my spare time, which there simply isn't as much of as there was. I still have a stack of tune requests here which I do work on as I can. When some of the other work is out of the way, I'll continue to spend more time on it. Pretty simple and once again I fail to see the "gray" area in that.

Let me clear up a bit of this nonsense concerning the verbage between "box", "canned", "custom" and this other bull#### that gets twisted and misconstrued.

Our original tuners- just like an SCT tuner for which someone made a custom tune- contained a set of hand-made files. Myself or someone else takes the engine file, the transmission file, VIN, and some other information and puts it into a program that exports the .enc file that was originally used. When we went to "strategy" flashing, it does not work in the typical manner of what some others call a strategy flash file. It is still a COMPLETE engine and COMPLETE transmission file, just as the same initial modified files we would start with by hand. Instead of someone sending us the VIN and strategy #'s, the tuner reads that data upon starting the flash and selects the proper file from the database, just as we do it by hand. It is nothing more than a computer automated version of precisely what we do when we hand-make a file. There is no difference in the process or the end-result except my fingers on the keys.

The only reason we even went to an automated firmware was the shear numbers of tuners being shipped. It simply wasn't practical to make them by hand and deliver them via email any longer.

If you really want to cut down to the proper wording, not a damn thing that comes out of any standard H&S, KEM, Spartan, or any other tuner is truly "custom" in the sense that every file is different. There are a number of different truck configurations and a number of different files corresponding to each. When 95% of the tunes are going into identically equipped stock truck, any good calibrator knows that variation causes problems and inconsistencies from customer to customer.

The only time a true "custom" tune is ever implemented is when you have a heavily modified truck, with such as aftermarket turbos, larger nozzles and fuel rails, pumps, ect.

Concerning the EGR delete issues, as Jeff pointed out, EGR delete files are already contained within a level 3 license. I think there was one revision where I had pulled them out to make changes and had forgotten to turn it back on; so if you have a level 3 and they are missing its just an update. I'll take another look at all of this as we publish the upcoming update. End of Quote
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2011, 10:04 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

vette,

Why are you doing this? Do you want to get banned? What did they do to you?

You seem to be on a tyrannic rampage right now.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:18 AM
Dont Mess With Texas!

vet, take it easy man you sure have been all over the forum ragging pretty hard on people...
Old 03-11-2011, 10:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Looks like the mods took care of it.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:28 AM
Dont Mess With Texas!

wow that was quick
glad they took care of it, he was getting a little obnoxious
Old 03-11-2011, 10:56 AM

Send a message via AIM to FastFocus
the OP sounds like a moron, personally i see absolutly nothing wrong with the above. If it is stated that Spartan does not support something and a customer is asking for damages, the customer is up creek without a paddle.
I fail to see what Vette is is trying to accomplish here? I personally have no direct experience with Spartan however i've heard nothing but great things about Spartain and Matt from people on this board and people who have used his product.
This is an epic fail at trying to bash a vendor.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:57 AM

I really do not understand folks *****ing about the tuners that are out there, this is AMERICA, buy what you want, if it isn't what you expected maybe you did not do your homework on that tuner, every company is different, myself I could care less if Matt and Mike had a blow out between each other, again this is America and that happens, as long as SPARTAN does what they say it does and I know up front on the cost, I bought it and if another tuner company comes out with something better... well guess what I have the choice if I want to buy it or not, I will not ***** if the other is cheaper, or what ever. I think *****ing about what tuner company does what has gotten real "OLD"
Old 03-11-2011, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

That guy was just out there...he posted about other people bashing vendors and said that was not allowed on here and then turns around and starts a thread where he was doing just that. I think he had some anger issues. Good riddance.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:02 PM

Kinda surprised the thread wasn't deleted.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:14 PM

Humm, a rant about a rant that's about a rant. I dunno, I'm kinda stupid I guess, tell me if I'm right plz..

I think I see a problem about a problem that isn't a problem unless your dumb enough to make it a problem and end up being the problem.

Did I get it right, took almost a minute.. Tole you eyes a little slow.

I normally don't take sides in these things.. Spartan wins...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.