Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

wastegate question.

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Beene 
#1 ·
From what I understand about the egr delete/wastegate kits. You set the high EBP limit, and the wastegate works at that pressure. Say you set it at 70psi. The EBP won't go any higher than that. This seems to also really only come into use at almost full throttle.

What I am trying to figure out is, Can you set up the wastegate based on boost pressure? For example. Your at 30psi boost with the wastegate set at 40psi. or 15psi boost with the wastegate set at 25psi? From what I understand, it may make the motor a hair more sluggish, but I think it would run much easier.

Is this what the electronic controls are for? There is not really much explanation to the different electronic controlers.

I want to do the egr delete with the wastegate, but if it really only helps full throttle BP, It doesn't seem worth the money.

#2 ·
My thought was head gaskets are going to blow at some point but a waste gate is good insurance and will prolong the motor life when egr delete is done.
I am glad i did the egr delete with the waste gate.
The waste gate can open and relieve pressure well before full throttle on some of the higher horsepower tunes

#3 ·
That is very true. I guess I should have worded that better. I mainly only run the race tunes for the low end performance. 1200-2400 rpm range with the occasional hard run. If the EBP issues get fixed with my tunes I should be good to go.

#5 ·
That is exactly what I am talking about. If I understand how the wastegate works. It won't help your part throttle EBP unless its like mine in the mid 80's. Say the wastegate is set at 70psi, Even if your only part throttle, it won't open to 70 psi EBP. If I'm wrong about that, someone please explain it to me. If it works with boost like I would like it too, I'll order up the full kit today...

#6 · (Edited)
I keep getting warnings anytime I do a roll on or go to pass so I'll be doing the gate to limit at 70psi. I don't care what rpm's I'm at or what throttle amount, I just want to make sure I never see more then 70psi ever. I was told that it will correct my issues because regardless of throttle position, it will always open at the preset pressure but I could be wrong. Sorry if I'm misunderstanding the question

Edit: Forgot to mention that most people go with the manual controller at least at first but I have read that the ams-1000 allows for the multiple setting you are looking for. You may even be able to use the stock ebp sensor and have the unit keep you at a 1:1 ratio. I just googled "AMS-1000" and found a bit of info, seems to give better control of the drive pressure vs boost ratio allowing some presets as well as ramping based on time or something. Go to www.ams1000.com for info

#7 ·
I still feel there is something wrong with the Spartan race tunes to see the high part throttle back pressure that I and a lot of other are seeing. Jeff thinks they have a fix for it, but I am still waiting to see. I don't want to put a wastegate on my truck to band aid a tune issue...

It looks like the electronic controllers are more what I am looking for.

Something else I am looking for more info on is the diverter valves I see the 6.0 guys talking about. I understand what it does, but have not found a picture to describe if its part of the turbo or a separate unit. I see them being used a lot with dual turbo set ups.

#8 ·
I agree with it possibly being a tune issue. I'm waiting to see if the...um...march?:) update fixes it before I place my order. I see a massive jump in ebp between the 275 and 250. As high as 85 with waaay more boost as well. Seems a little excessive for 25hp but I'm not the tuning ninja so maybe that's just what it takes:dunno:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.