Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Thinking about some Trans upgrades...

873 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  CT Performance, Inc. 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I have no doubts this has been covered, but posting it anyway

So back in the fall I bought a trans off my brother for my 7.3, he was selling his truck and the trans had less than a 100k on it so a quick swap and I got a solid trans for cheap. I don't know what all was done to it, but he had it custom built by some guy in Indiana. What I do know about is that it has a triple disc converter in it, short of the long of it: I am in love with that trans, it really lays it down, the shifts are perfect, not jerky or rough, more like "now", so slip and no hesitation, each gear feels like its pulling harder than the last.
Now when I drive my 6.4 the trans just disappoints me. I find myself wishing that the trans in my 7.3 was in my 6.4 So have been tossing around doing some upgrades... most likely some sun coast parts... the price of a full drop in is up there, what are your guys thoughts on adding just the triple disc and maybe some sensors or something? Would it be worth it any pro/cons to this? I am running the Spartan 210 tune, if I do any upgrades to the trans is any additional tuning required? Should I just save up and go for the full replacement?

appreciate any input:thumb:

#2 ·
I have been thinking about this for a while, and cant decide between getting the full drop in replacement or rebuilding it with Suncoast parts. I just run the 210 and 250 because I dont want to kill my job 1 transmission.
Another option is getting the Spartan TCM if you dont want to get a new trans.

#4 ·
These transmissions are suppose to be the upgrade to the 5r100, but they suck in comparison. They may take more power, but they shift like crap. I personally think the 5r110 will live a long life with the 250 and down tunes if its not abused.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.