Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

What should I install First? CAI,Mini,or Delete Pipe

3K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  Vettester 
#1 ·
Ok Guys I got all my goodies from Rudys this week.(fast shipping) Is there any certain order I should start this project ? Intake first ? or exhaust ? or Mini Maxx ? Does it really matter ? I'm open for any suggestions. :confused:

#2 ·
funny, after our pm conversation, we are starting these mods on the same day.:thumb: I just got the minimax installed first. I'm waiting for the exhaust to cool down so i can pull it next. my intake isn't here yet, so that decision was made for me.
my understanding is to do the tuner first. the instructions say (yes I actually read them first:crazy:, that's rare for me) to have the truck at operating temps. if the exhaust is done first it won't run right to get it warm. I don't know how crucial it is to have it warm, but that's why I did it in this order so far.

#4 ·
it's easy. the hardest part is fishing the cord down thru the dash, my hands aren't very small. a good flashlight that sits pointing up or angles helps.
I have pics, but can't upload them yet. I'm at work and won't be home until Sunday.

#5 ·
Thanks , Did you have any trouble finding the purple (power) wire under the dash ? I may just try to install the airbox tomorrow , I've heard it can be time consuming.

#6 ·
the purple with the stipe was what I saw first. I knew to keep looking after reading a thread here, where someone used that one and had problems. just look under the dash for the wire ends in factory black wrap/capping. took me about 30 seconds to find.

#8 ·
Running the wire down through the dash is easy if you pull the end cover off of the dash on the drivers side. You will want to install the MM first. The reason that they suggest that you have the truck at operating temp is to ensure that the batteries are topped off. That way you don't drop voltage too much during the programming. I've done it cold as long as the batteries are in good condition.:thumb:

#9 · (Edited)
I installed the Mini first also. It went just like this, Install the Mini, Wire it up solid purple wire ect and select the "DPF is not removed" mode. Fire up the engine when the mini says to, play with the menu and settings to assure everythings working then Shut the engine off and get under there with your tools :wink[3]:. Drop the dpf , install the new Delete pipe, then back in the cab , turn the key to the run position(dont start the engine yet) and when the mini boots, select change settings. This time select the "DPF is removed" , The Mini will reset the tuner, load the new DPF deleted Mode and eventually tell you to start the engine. Pulling the DPF system off the truck is the hardest part but just keeping in mind how good for your truck it will be when its Off may ease any aggravation you run into:hehe:
Like everyone says, "your gonna Love the Mini maxx" :thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.