Cleaning exhaust question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2011, 07:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cleaning exhaust question

How often do most of yall get the cleaning exhaust message?? I have been recently been getting the message 2 to 3 (mostly twice) times a tank the past couple of weeks without pulling anything except a 17ft jon boat 10 miles total to the landing every now and then. Any suggestions of why this is happening so much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2011, 09:15 PM

My last one was 492, the time before that was 498. Towing anything worth towing and those numbers drop down to the low 200's or high 100's.

Have you finished the regen process or do you shut it off prior to finishing? If the later, you will get regens more often as it hasn't fully completed a regen in a while.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:49 PM
Premium Member

All I can chime in on this, it's all about the driving condtions (city/hwy/towing/lead foot/granny foot/windy days) and your driving habits. I heard guys towing with a heavy foot having a Regen every 40-50 miles. My experience is when my truck was new I had Regens 2-4 times a tank. But now at 23,000 miles I can see 500 miles, my best being 545 miles. The Regens have gotten much better for me over time and also since I addded my MP-8 module from TS Performance ( to kick up the fuel pressure a tad bit) and and AFE drop in Filter. But with conserative driving and I drive 26 miles one way to work, don't really do short trips around town. Also, I towed my 29' Jayco Travel Trailer, weighed about 6500lbs, to Ocean City, MD from East Central PA and the Regens were more frequent, like every 100-150 depending on the GMC or Dodge along side of me I know the truck ECU has the ability to learn your driving habits and on trans shifts. So it had gotten better with time for me. I don't beat on my truck, but do have fun once in a while, well maybe more then that. The harder you throttle it the more unburned fuel that will make it to the DPF...resulting in more Regens. Hope this helps.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I may be speaking out of turn, but the very best thing that you could do to improve the regen situation is to install a tuner and get the DPF off of there, along with the CAT. I have a Black Max Tuner, 4" MBRP Downpipe Back Exhaust, S&B Stage 2 CAI. Improved power unbelievably, improved fuel mileage by 3.4 mpg highway. I can not think of a downside, as long as you take care of the engine, monitor parameters, and not overdo it on the limits. My truck immediately went from feeling heavy to very fiesty. I am running the HOT (250) tune.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:40 PM

Nice resurrection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.