Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

custom tunes??

14K views 31 replies 21 participants last post by  tbsimmons 
#1 ·
i was in atlanta this week and a guy in 6.7 stroke came up to me and told me to go to kemperformance.com and he would send me some custom tunes i already have a 275 inavative tune that was emailed to me and i was wondering if any one has an suggestions or advice one who has the best custom tunes?

#4 · (Edited)
Well I have the KEM 345 tune on my LiveWire that I specifically purchased just so I can run the 345 tune so my opinion would be slightly biased. However, I spent months on here reading and researching before I was going to make a big purchase on a tuner so I investigated all the options. From my research I found the conclusion that the KEM 345 was indeed the best running overall tune on the market for the 6.4L PowerStroke. A lot of stipulation was argued between the Spartan 310 vs the KEM 345, however I learned that Mike at KEM is the main guru behind most if not all of Spartans tunes that made Spartan successful on here. Whatever the political and personal outfalls there were between Mike and Spartan, Mike came out independently with the 345 custom tune which reportedly runs cooler, shifts smoother, and has the most reviews by people who own both a Spartan tuner and had purchased the KEM 345 tune that say the 345 trumps the Spartan 310 tune. Then Spartan released a firmware update that strictly prohibits using Mikes 345 tune, but Spartan says that Emotion "released a new software for us, so we obviously took it", and acts as if it is only a mere coincidence that the KEM 345 custom tune can no longer be ran on the Spartan tuners. Now Spartan is vigorously working for an update on their 310 tune to regain the top spot, but it looks like it has been taking them a while since the brain behind all their tunes is no longer with them.

Again, my slightly biased opinion on the KEM 345 tune. I have never owned, or even driven in a truck with any other tunes, this is just my conclusion over months of research on these forums. I await the ministry of propaganda to try to shoot me out of the water.

#9 ·
You'll be fine with stock tranny just so you don't beat the crap out of it. I dail drive and tow with mine on stock tranny and headstuds.

#6 ·
Damn Johnny, that post pretty much ended every tuner question thread on here :thumb:

#7 ·
I wanted kem tunes but cant because of the spartan update. so i may look at a livewire or something just to run his tunes because i really like the dash daq. but mike at kem is top notch and i would say run his 210 tune you will really like it. and he can tune from stock to 345 hp:beer:

#11 ·
I'd say its a Tough decision between H&S and Innovative.

H&S tuners are sweet and have the open door policy to The excellent KEM custom tunes.

Check out Innovative, they are obviously working to get ahead of the pack. They are focused on superior in house custom tunes Plus they have the open door policy to the custom KEM tunes.
I suspect they have the sweetest deal out there with the inexpensive tuner then Load it with the KEM 345.

Spartan is bogged down in BS. No way to recommend them at this time.

I went with H&S mini maxx I love that little jewel, I use the Hot Damn tunes but will be getting the KEM Custom 345 in the next week or so.

Youll love your truck on a whole new level after its properly tuned.

#12 ·
Please let me know what you think of the KEM 345 tune. I am wanting that tune but the hot damn tune works good also. I am wondering if its about the same. Thanks

#15 ·
for $50 more you can get all the KEM tunes? Do you need to call to order that?

#17 ·
I would listen to Eric (Innovative). I would bet that his race tune is just like KEM 345. If you already have the tune package from Eric then load it. I have them and only have loaded as high as the X-Street. I can not see a tune being more drivable, I have 4.88's so my truck is a little different. I tow mostly so the tow tune is loaded 95% of the time. It is not a monster without your right foot, will boil the tires if you want and gets great MPG. What more would you want. The topper, everything in the truck runs cool, tranny, oil, EGT and coolant.

#23 ·
KEM is sounding better to me because I don't have to return my truck to stock for 3-4 days while I ship the tuner to them.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using AutoGuide App

#25 ·
For those that tow with a tune, could you provide details? What tuner and tunes do you run and what kind and weight of trailer do you tow?
I have already purchased a Livewire, AFE intake and DPF delete. Haven't had the chance to install them yet, but I tow an 18k 5th wheel and want to make sure everything is safe.

#27 ·
Eric's (Innovative) tow tune. Truck is much happier. EGTs are low, have to try to get it above 1200, tranny coolant and oil temps all stay in check. Stock the truck would get to 1400 if I towed the grades and regen kicked in, then it would back the truck down. Gained about 10 MPH over the grades I tow with less throttle, I do the speed limit now. Before I would be doing about 42-45 at the tops of the grades with my foot on the floor. Long and steep. I tow a 18000# fiver that is REALLY tall.
Could not be happier. Dont know about the others, but I have always liked Eric's tuning, had it on my 6.0 also. His tranny tuning is great, more so on the 6.4. If you tow a lot of weight, which you do the tow tune, firmer shifts with lock will treat you right. That stays in my truck 95+% of the time
I use my truck to tow, not daily drive so I needed something for that, not all out HP or I run a 345 tune for bragging rights. The tow tune is enough power. The mileage difference unloaded between the Tow Tune and the X-Street is not that much in my truck, might be the weight or the gears.

#26 ·
KEMs 345 tune is what I tow 10k 5th wheel camper with. It is a great tow tune but no safties built in, you have to pull smart and watch your gauges.

#31 ·
I run th KEM 345 for my daily and 210 for towing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.