Keeping dpf, which tuner? Opinions? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2011, 07:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Keeping dpf, which tuner? Opinions?

Ok long story short I would like the extra power/mpg of a tuner but I need to keep my DPF (read, warranty) I know I know a tuner may void my warranty (read, if tuner is detected or causes damage, depending on dealer) So what tuner will be least detectable when removed but be able to keep my DPF. This may be a dumb question but can I use a dpf delete tuner and basically just pretend my dpf isn't there? Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2011, 10:18 PM

Banks 6 Gun with the switch! It's a piggy back system. It plugs into the pcm and turbo sensor and modifies what the computer thinks it's seeing. So there is no flashing of the pcm. Any other tuner flashes the pcm so might as well go all out. There is a guy on here selling one. I sold mine last week. I loved it but I was sick of watching "Cleaning Exhaust". New owner told me via ebay he was real impressed with the added power. I was too until I got the mini maxx. But Banks is safest bet for warranty safe. Just my $0.02.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

If your looking for better fuel mileage and want to retain your DPF, good luck. It's not worh the money inmy opinion. The best thing to do is purchase a tuner that does both. That way, down the road when you realize your fuel mileage still sucks, you can order a delete pipe and intake and see what you had been missing. Just my $.02....
Old 02-24-2011, 07:43 AM

Hey 44 I understand. Been there did that! If you feel like you want to start off adding power and not worrying about the warranty then Banks is the way to go. Maybe you'll be happy with the banks. I was for 5 months. However there are many that stay happy. I never took mine out of position 6 so I forgot how slow the truck was stock. After i pulled the banks out and sold it, I drove the truck for week before the mini came in. I had forgotten how much power it added. I had a 01 duramax line up the day after I pulled the banks and he beat me. My brother in law was riding with me and he said man the banks really did make a difference. And I did get better mileage couple mpg's.

Everyone complemented the power added by the banks. Now everyone is saying how wicked my truck is with the H&S mini maxx.

Decide what you want to do and do whats right for you. Don't let someone talk you into something like a tuner if your not ready. You flash that pcm you might as well do it all cause it no longer matters...Sometimes we just have to waste that money. But if you do it right, sit and watch, you'll find a good deal. My grandfather always says you make your money when you buy.

I bought my banks ram air and 6 gun at the same time and paid like $7-800. Pretty good deal since they are like a $1000 purchased seperatly. You can also find em used. as stated before there was a guy on here with one for sale. I sold mine through ebay.

Anyway for what it's worth.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44magnum View Post
Ok long story short I would like the extra power/mpg of a tuner but I need to keep my DPF (read, warranty) I know I know a tuner may void my warranty (read, if tuner is detected or causes damage, depending on dealer) So what tuner will be least detectable when removed but be able to keep my DPF. This may be a dumb question but can I use a dpf delete tuner and basically just pretend my dpf isn't there? Thanks in advance
Banks is a great option if you plan on always keeping your DPF. However, people more often than not end up pulling at at some point. That being said, I suggest looking at H&S tuners. You cna run them with or without the DPF.

You cant run a delete tuner and pretend its not there. Your DPF will clog up since it will not longer go into regeneration mode and that is very bad.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:05 PM

Ya I hear ya guy I do. Im only gonna keep the dpf for about 22000 more miles which for me will be about a year and a half. So I take it the h&s reflashes the ecu? And I take it that is easily detected by the dealer if I were to need any warranty work? Assuming I returned it to stock. I was looking hard at the h&s as it can do both dpf and dpf delete. Are there any others that can do both? Thanks again guys.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

The Spartan Phalanx can do both.

If you would like any information on the tuner, feel free to PM or email me.

jeff@spartandieseltech.com

Last edited by 08stroker250; 02-24-2011 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:10 PM

And that's fine if it doesn't get better mpg untill I delete the dpf.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

go with h&s. i did and put mine back to stock when it went to the dealer for warrany work last week and not a word was said about it being modified.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by frkjr_2580 View Post
go with h&s. i did and put mine back to stock when it went to the dealer for warrany work last week and not a word was said about it being modified.
A good tuner can make that possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.