Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Couple questions regarding H&S

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Rosspbig 
#1 ·
1. What would happen if you went to start your truck without the mini maxx/obd etc plugged in?

Say you wanted to select the 60 tune and remove the setup from truck. There by keeping oneself from dabbeling in the 250 tune too much.

2. EGT's are going above 1500. I have banks intake, non sensor dpf/doc delete pipe, and magnaflow pro 4" with 5" tip, no muffler-etc. I have the most recent firmware, hot tunes, and firm 55mph tranny. Meaning I downloaded/install updated them all last night just to make sure. I read another post where somone was reporting high egts from their mini maxx. I can go into the settings and change it from factory to h&s for the pyro location and both work. Right now it is set to get pyro reading from H&S. But again no noticeable change with either setting.

#2 ·
1. If I'm not mistaken the last tune that was set on the maxx would stay there. Truck would work normally just no way to bump up power settings nor a way to monitor your parameters.

2. It's rare when I see my EGTs go past 1400. Again I don't stay on it for long just a quick get up and go and EGTs drop back to 600-700ish. I have the stock defueling settings the tunes came with. I don't think I've ever seen 1500 then again I don't floor it for more than a couple seconds.

#3 ·
my EGT's will hit the 1450 preset de-fuel pretty easily with the hot damn tune. I bumped my de-fuel temp to 1600. That said, I rarely run the truck in the hot damn mode, usually in the wild setting.

#4 ·
1) yes its whatever tune you had stays.
2) My trucks quick to defuel, i never see high egt's

#5 ·
The truck would run with the last tune, if you returned it to stock tune with the sensors unplugged it wouldnt crank.
Removing the adaptor and tuner would make for about 500-600 dolla waste of investment . Id sell it first then remove it in place for a lesser tuner.

#6 ·
Thanks for the replys.

#1 was asked in a way that H&S could answer just in case they did. What I really wanted to make sure of is if I take it in for state inspection that they can unplug it and plug in their machine without affecting anything. I have no intention of taking mini maxx out.

#2 I kinda figured out last night what the issue is. You go racing or drag racing there is plenty of time to cool down between runs. When your out showing off to your buddies on the first hammer down when your egts start at 350 there is no issues at all. But after a couple hammer downs and your egts are starting at 750-800 when you mash it's another story. Kinda like hot lapping. Which is what I read in another thread. Guy didn't have egt issues unless he hot lapped it.

Last night I went out, warmed truck up, and went for a spin with a couple friends. On first hammer down it never let up, never defueled, and what an adrenaline rush. Buddies are just laughing, they are like there is no way a truck should be this big and this fast. One said the only way I can describe your truck is Wicked. Another said holy **** man your truck is really fast. I've been in a bunch of these diesels from Dodge, Chevy, and 6.0 Fords and none of them not even the propane injected race truck I rode in was this fast. Not even close. Ray's gonna lose yalls race bad! (Ray is the guy with the 01 Duramax talking ****).

#7 ·
I'm lame and only run the mild tune.

No matter how stupid I am with the throttle, it will rarely get above 1200.

I'm chicken sh!t though. Truck is still brand new and I don't want to break anything :/.

#8 ·
Nothin wrong with being safe!

I was watching it defuel and when it went to wild, egts dropped like a rock, and by the time it hit 800 it switched back to hot and it felt like nirtous. All the sudden at 70mph it just launched and within what seemed like a second or 2 I was doing 100. I am almost thinking that starting the race off on wild would be so much better. My truck is chirping the tires going into 3rd gear! I'm thinking that at about 40 bump it to hot.

Too bad theres not a speed related defuel! That would be awesome! I think I will e-mail H&S and bring it up. Cause if they could set it so that it defules to the 1 stage below your current setting and at your desired mph that would be kick ***.

#9 ·
I run my Mini Maxx on the Wild tune mostly, and every once in a while I will bump it up to the hot tune. I set my EGT defuel to 1500 degrees, which will happen fairly quick on the hot tune, but really dosent happen often in the wild tune.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.