F450 King Ranch better fuel mileage - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2011, 10:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
F450 King Ranch better fuel mileage

I am new to Fords from Chevrolet and I must say, I think that this F450 is leaps and bounds above my chev when it comes to build and being heavy duty. I tow a lot of heavy stuff including my excavator, dozer, job trailers and even 5th wheel camper and snowmobile trailers on the recreational side. This truck seems like it will tow it all. The only thing I'm not happy with is the fuel mileage but I knew that coming into this. I dont really care while I am towing but I would like to see a little better when not towing if I could. I have done some searching around on here but I was just wondering what I should do to get a little better if I could, fuel is getting expensive in NY! Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2011, 12:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The 4.88 gears are killing me...26/2700 rpm at 70 is not helping fuel economy. I average about 7mpg...

I'm gonna watch this thread for ideas. I'm wondering about an over drive or something to reduce the gearing...basically with a load it costs me about 50 cent a mile just in fuel to drive my truck...its sad cause I absolutely love everything else about the truck.

mac 'will tow your house' gyvr
Old 02-20-2011, 07:32 AM
IBEW Journeyman Lineman

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
If you've got the money, Gear Vendors has got the time. Their overdrive unit will lower your rpms and up your mpg. But might have to calculate how long getting a few more mpgs would take to pay for the GV unit. There's always the tuner and dpf delete which can up your mileage also and stop putting fuel in your oil.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

My 450 KR has a 4.30 gear set and I think it will pull the farm without breaking a sweat.
New it was a 10-12mpg rig when driven like an ole lady. Since picking this beast up I have:

Swapped out the filters in the exhaust with a Flo Pro 5 inch system

Added a H&S Tuner currently running Hot tune and delete setup

Added a Volant CAI

Current mileage on winter fuel is 16-17mpg empty. The tuner make the mileage meter on the dash go nuts it shows 27mpg..... I think not.

Somethign else to think about these truck are about as streamlined as a coke machine, you are pushing a bunch of air at 70mph. Slow down and drop the RPMs to 1800 to 2000 and your fuel mileage will improve greatly.

On the GV unit..... Visited with them a while back. Got the tour of the shop and a good look at the unit broken down. What I found out:
1. They state it is for no load conditions if used with a load the cone clutch just will not hold up to the Diesel torque.
2. they offer two models one that mounts betweenthe transmission and transfer case and one that mounts to the back of the T-Case (or Trans in 2wd apps). The output shaft on the trans is 34 spline but the output of the GV unit is 31 spline..... Smaller dia and parts need to be swapped from a pre 05 drive train to work.
3. Even if used on the flats with the GV in OD you run the risk of burning up the cone clutch...
4. no plans to improve the design to handle the torque our trucks put out....

Right now they are the only folk that make a auxillary OD unit. US Gear is no longer. My thought is if the unit will nto stand up to light towing on the flat roads or handle a Slide on Camper how will it stand up to a tuner application???
Old 02-22-2011, 05:36 AM
Serving Our Country!

With the DPF delete and tuner I picked up an extra 1 mpg running 4.30's. MD05 is getting awesome mileage and I don't think to many people can duplicate his mileage. I just wouldn't use the gear vendor. Beside a tuner/DPF delete I think re-gearing is the best choice if you have the cash for it. There was a guy on one of these forums that re-geared his F450 with 3.73's and was getting 15-16 mpg and the 2010 F350 Tow boss's are using 4.10's and getting 14-15 mpg. I've thought about it but dropping from 4.30 to 4.10 gears aren't worth it so I'm opting to run taller tires next time around. I think if you can get these big heavy trucks to 15 mpg your doing good.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:43 AM

The absolute best I have seen is 18.2 before the winter dropped in.

I use Amsoil centane booster and fuel conditioner ( Flow Improver) as well as 5W-40 synthetic oil. With the tuner set to Hot I get better mileage than when it is set to mild...... Still trying to figure that one out.

I contribute the high mileage to stead driving at or around 55-60 mph.

Made a couple of runs to Norfolk with 4500# for a load and still got 14-15 mph driving the limits...

I am hoping that The Nutty Prof and I can work some magic on the trans programing to make the rig work even more efficent.Let ya know after the tuning day next week.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:14 PM

The best I have got is 16 with mine. The tune selection didnt really change too much on MPG. Eric's tow tune and X-Street get about the same cruising on the Highway for me. I have 4.88's so my RPM is a little higher, around 2200 at 55, but I cant compain too much about the mileage, my 04 6.0 with Eric's tuning got about the same, but I had 35's with 4.56's.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:20 PM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dereku
Dropping the gearing will help substantially too. But that might out weigh the benefits of the mileage gain.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD05 View Post
My 450 KR has a 4.30 gear set and I think it will pull the farm without breaking a sweat.
New it was a 10-12mpg rig when driven like an ole lady. Since picking this beast up I have:

Swapped out the filters in the exhaust with a Flo Pro 5 inch system

Added a H&S Tuner currently running Hot tune and delete setup

Added a Volant CAI

Current mileage on winter fuel is 16-17mpg empty. The tuner make the mileage meter on the dash go nuts it shows 27mpg..... I think not.

Somethign else to think about these truck are about as streamlined as a coke machine, you are pushing a bunch of air at 70mph. Slow down and drop the RPMs to 1800 to 2000 and your fuel mileage will improve greatly.

On the GV unit..... Visited with them a while back. Got the tour of the shop and a good look at the unit broken down. What I found out:
1. They state it is for no load conditions if used with a load the cone clutch just will not hold up to the Diesel torque.
2. they offer two models one that mounts betweenthe transmission and transfer case and one that mounts to the back of the T-Case (or Trans in 2wd apps). The output shaft on the trans is 34 spline but the output of the GV unit is 31 spline..... Smaller dia and parts need to be swapped from a pre 05 drive train to work.
3. Even if used on the flats with the GV in OD you run the risk of burning up the cone clutch...
4. no plans to improve the design to handle the torque our trucks put out....

Right now they are the only folk that make a auxillary OD unit. US Gear is no longer. My thought is if the unit will nto stand up to light towing on the flat roads or handle a Slide on Camper how will it stand up to a tuner application???
at 70mph i'm turning 2650 rpm...to get into 1800 to 2000 rpm i'd have to crawl down the road...i want to get 8 to 10 towing at 70mph...instead of 6 to 7 mpg.

i've researched gears...for the s110 axle i found 4.30 gears for $1000...just for the rear axle...not the front and not including install or labor. To go anything other than a 4.30 you have a speed senor or something that wont work so something has to be set up to fool that system into working correctly.

i was thinking about going to a 22.5 rim with bigger tires to lower RPM but man that stuff is EXPENSIVE...

my planning is to go to an exhaust and dump the cat/dpf/bs, tuner to eliminate the regen and mild tune, and go up to a 245/70/19.5 tire...

mac 'but researching everything' gyvr
Old 02-23-2011, 03:56 AM

I was looking at 4.11 for a gear change, when you factor in both ends and installation it is a big chunk of change. Looked at GV, another big chunk of change but issues with loading.... Looked at taller tires.... need wider rims.... 265 70R 19.5 equates to a 34.4 inches but a big chunk of change I'm going to need tires before too long so I am looking at that route. Rickson Manufacturing make a rim that is a direct bolt on and if you go with steel rims you same some change.
I was looking at the 285s, but I do not think they will work without some inner fender work or a lift.

Note all of the above are a one time investment need to balance that off the potential savings over the year of driving. You might be surprised at how much money you can recoup.

Something else I am looking at is changing the Torque Converter stall speed from the stock 1800 to something lower 1500 or less. My thought process is this, with a manual trans you are engaging the clutch at much less than 1800 RPMs and the truck works just fine.
To go with this I am looking at a manual shift program for the auto trans something that can be incorporated into the "Tow/Haul' mode and leaving the normal mod alone save for upgrading the shift points and eliminating the "free wheeling" in gears 2- OD.

Ideally a Automated Manual set up like a Big Rig would be perfect with a electro hydralulic clutch setup would make the f450/550 much more effecient. Still looking at what it would task to go down this route. I know this is used in high end sportcars and class 7/8 trucks. So I am sure something could be done at the Class 4 level (F450/550).

My suggestion for immediate fuel mileage improvement is: easy to speed and try to stay at a constant speed 65mph might yield the 8-10 mpg you are looking for. If you have a way to monitor the EGT you can use that as a sort of vacuum gage. The Higher the EGT the more fuel you are using couple that to the boost gauge and try to keep the boost level low and steady you might get those elusive MPGs you are looking for.

Cheers

Last edited by MD05; 02-23-2011 at 04:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.