best drop in air filter for stock intake - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2011, 04:14 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
best drop in air filter for stock intake

so i just got my 08 superduty and wanted to upgrade the air intake system but the ford dealer told me it would affect my certified preowned vehicle warranty so i guess i will just go with a drop in filter anybody got any ideas on which one is the best
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2011, 06:17 PM
Premium Member

I did a drop in filter in my 2009. I ordered mine from Xtreme Diesel in New Jersey. It's made by AFE. Sorry I don't rember what I paid for it, but it went right in. Just make sure if you go this route you make sure the filter is seated all the way into the opening, it's a tight perfect fit. I feel a slight difference in throttle response, but nothing to bark at. This is just temporary till I do a complete tuner/intake/DPF delete. I do have a MP-8 from TS Performance (also from Xtreme Diesel) on my truck. Fuel milage is about 1 to 1.5mpg better. I can definitly feel difference. The biggest benifit I get out of this combo... the Regens on the exhaust. If I baby the truck, like old man style (letting the trans shift by 2000 rpms) I can do about 535-550 miles between Regens on the DPF. I drive 52 miles a day round trip, no highway. But the whole Regen thing is not rocket science...the harder you drive it...the more it regens. But before I had this set up I could never see over 300-350 between Regens. If I beat on my truck or tow heavy I can Regen every 50-100 miles easily. Hope this helps. Any questions just PM me. FYI, I personally switch out all my stuff before the truck goes to the dealer ()...just to be certain they dont say jack to me for doing something to the truck
Old 02-24-2011, 07:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i just installed an afe pro guard7. it seems my egt's dropped about 75 degrees while towing. but thats pretty hard to tell for sure
Old 02-24-2011, 10:38 PM

Suban, are you getting your oil changed over at Litha ford? Just wondering on the aftermarket filter.. If they say anything to you on it. I was thinking of possiably adding one to mine. How ya liking your truck tuned btw
Old 02-24-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawed Off View Post
Suban, are you getting your oil changed over at Litha ford? Just wondering on the aftermarket filter.. If they say anything to you on it. I was thinking of possiably adding one to mine. How ya liking your truck tuned btw
i have been doin oil changes at home, but the head disel tech seems like a good guy ill pm you what he told me. i dont think a drop in would be a problem. as far as the tune goes i love not having the ''cleaning exhaust filter'' message pop up. and the pickup just runs better, so ya im loving it.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:12 AM

I have the AFE Drop-In purchased from Performance Truck Products, it was like 78 or something. Has worked great even tuned, towing, etc. I think the full intake are a little over kill unless you are running a huge HP tune all the time with your foot in it.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:32 AM

i have a k&n drop in on my truck and it seems to be good enough even for the kem 345 tune
Old 02-25-2011, 04:08 PM

This is what I have had for about 20k miles. Works great for me. Just recently had the intake off a few days ago with no sign of any dust getting by. I'm in a very dusty area and live on a dirt rd.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:39 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 505powerstroke View Post
i have a k&n drop in on my truck and it seems to be good enough even for the kem 345 tune
So doing a drop in, you guys are ok with still tuning your trucks. mmmmm Glad to hear about that!
Old 02-26-2011, 07:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

hey 505powerstroke, on ur wot does the truck bog up/down w/ that 345tune. i have the hotdamn tune w/ stock airintake/filter and wot it sucks. was gonna get an intake soon however a dropin is much easyier, and less $. and not 2 say thats another thing i would have to change back if i need 2. ( u know what i mean)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.