Question for Tuners regarding tuning methodology.... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2011, 10:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question for Tuners regarding tuning methodology....

So, while snooping around and asking questions, I've been made aware that some, if not all tuners use a STOCK truck (with stock airbox and exhaust) to develop tunes. If most, if not all customers are going to delete entire exhaust system from turbo back and apply a cold air intake and 4-5inch exhaust, wouldn't it behoove Tuners to develop tunes based on aftermarket air box and turbo back, DPF/CAT delete exhaust??

I am aware of gasoline engine ecu tuning taking a variety of variables such as engine temp, ambient temp, manifold pressure, air/fuel mixture, rpm's and engine load to name a few. The more variables taken into consideration and tested for optimum performance, the better the tune is.

Why would Diesel tuners NOT develop tunes with aftermarket products installed as is the final intention of us customers???

enquiring minds like to know

Last edited by 08-450dually; 02-17-2011 at 10:12 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2011, 10:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Our tunes are made on trucks with full exhaust systems and intakes....and I am sure most others are as well. You couldn't make a DPF delete tune without a DPF delete, the DPF would clog and could cause other issues to occur. Of course, a tuner could sit at his computer and make a tune, but when initial testing began it was all done on a truck with an exhaust and intake.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

the 3 big tuners around here(sct, h&s, spartan) dont tune for stock pickups. its pointless. they tune for dpf delete and with the big tunes you need intake period. im not sure who you are talking about though

edit: jeff beat me to it
Old 02-17-2011, 11:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

When our tunes are created, we actually use a truck with the specific mods installed that the programs are being built for. This is how it's done on diesel and gas vehicles.

For instance, with almost all newer gas vehicles(05+), a simple air intake system swap will skew the air/fuel ratio and will require a tune change. So, there are either options built into the tuner or a new tune would be installed.

For Diesel trucks, they aren't as sensitive, but do require some tuning for major changes like Off Road systems. EGR Delete, DPF Delete, upgraded injectors, turbo's, etc.

Basic bolt on's in a diesel won't require a tune change. So, tunes built for a bone stock truck will work perfectly fine on the same truck with an intake or exhaust(DPF Back on newer trucks) install.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hmmm........ I talked to one of the top three listed, an up and coming and quite popular tuner, spoke to the actual manufacturer who said their tunes are done on a bone stock truck A little concerning for me as I would like to have heard otherwise.....
Old 02-17-2011, 04:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Just curious, why would you want a tune built for a stock truck on a modified vehicle?

Base tunes are always built on a stock truck. For instance, we built the tunes for the 6.4L and 6.7L before any aftermarket parts were available. However, we had to build new tunes once injectors, pumps, and larger turbo(s) were available.

If you added a supercharger to a vehicle with a tune built for a stock vehicle, you'd have a big hole in your block.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hi. No, That's just the issue, I was told the diesel engine does not care if it has a better airbox or bigger exhaust. What he said is "once we tune the engine, it will deal with what ever changes you make to the airbox and exhaust properly, it's not like a gasoline engine".

maybe he meant stock downpipe??

It wouldn't make sense to develop tunes with DPF/CAT on. That would be

Last edited by 08-450dually; 02-17-2011 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:14 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08-450dually View Post
Hi. No, That's just the issue, I was told the diesel engine does not care if it has a better airbox or bigger exhaust. What he said is "once we tune the engine, it will deal with what ever changes you make to the airbox and exhaust properly, it's not like a gasoline engine".

maybe he meant stock downpipe??

It wouldn't make sense to develop tunes with DPF/CAT on. That would be
that's just crazy.

the best tune would be a custom dyno/road tune for your specific application but even temperature, barometric pressure, humidity changes and can cause problems so im going to make n assumption that even the race tunes are somewhat mild because they have to satisfy such a wide variety of applications. I bet with a custom aggressive tune, our trucks can make crazy power, but then again you risk putting whole in your block or broken tranny.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

agreed, I think it would be awesome if Tuners disclosed what specific bolt-ons were used when developing the tunes; what brand and model cold air intake, what brand and diameter size exhaust, etc., In my opinion, at least we could replicate their efforts and know that this is as good as it gets without going to customer specific custom tunes.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:22 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I think the average guy thinks intake and exhaust are major mods (DPF delete I guess is) but muffler and cat removal are not.

Tunes can be made perfectly fine with stock muffler,cat and intake, and removing these are not significant enough to alter the tuners base tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.