Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Best tuner and tune for rolling coal?

42K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  08-450dually 
#1 ·
As the title says any input? Pics? Stories? I've been blasted before on my motorcycle. Wasn't fun but I did have a laugh at it.

#3 · (Edited)
Here's a funny story: a guy joined a diesel website and asked about smoke, smoke switches, and rolling coal. He was publicly mocked for being a diesel ricer. More understanding members of the website pointed out that blowing smoke just for the sake of blowing smoke hurts the image of the diesel community and has contributed to new, more strict emissions standards. Other members joined the thread and offered advice on how to install a smoke switch. They also became targets for the rest of the website.

Eventually, the thread received less attention and less posts until it finally faded into the higher numbered pages of the website.

Not too long afterwards, another member started a thread on how to roal coal. He was publicly mocked for being a diesel ricer. More understanding members of the website pointed out that blowing smoke just for the sake of blowing smoke hurts the image of the diesel community and has contributed to new, more strict emissions standards. Other members joined the thread and offered advice on how to install a smoke switch. They also became targets for the rest of the website.

Eventually, the thread received less attention and less posts until it finally faded into the higher numbered pages of the website.

Not too long afterwards, another member started a thread on how to roal coal. He was publicly mocked for being a diesel ricer. More understanding members of the website pointed out that blowing smoke just for the sake of blowing smoke hurts the image of the diesel community and has contributed to new, more strict emissions standards. Other members joined the thread and offered advice on how to install a smoke switch. They also became targets for the rest of the website.

Which brings us to today...................

Now what was your question again?

#4 ·
And I care about your opinion because??? I ask a simple question and get a smart *** comment. I did do a search and found no specific thread. I just wanted to know if there were any specific tunes for this purpose. I've seen plenty of pics on this forum of blowing smoke. If it hurts the diesel community so much then such pictures shouldn't be posted and praised over. If used in consideration and moderation shouldn't harm anybody. The same can be said for train horns or overly lifted trucks that cause a Safety issue. Obviously it isn't hurting it to bad that I purchased a $60k truck after being blasted by it myself.

#6 ·
Relax killer. Just trying to help you out. There's a lot of folks here who are going to flame you for this thread. If you really want some good advice, I'd recommend going to Competition Diesel Forums and asking this question on their forum. Those guys know how to roll coal!

#9 ·
Typically, yes. It can also be a lack of air. The fuel system on the 6.4 has the potential to move more fuel than the stock turbo's can clean up. The 6.4 also has pretty poor head flow, which doesn't help.

If your looking for all out performance (550-615 horsepower tuning), your going to get in to that area where the turbo's just aren't as efficient. This is why you see the big tunes from Spartan, Innovative, RCD, and KEM smoke quite a bit.

This is also why nitrous works so well on the 6.4. Lack of air and a lot of fuel means amazing atomization with nitrous.

With our 250 tune, I can put it the floor and the smoke is cleared up within about 2-3 seconds. With our 310, it takes a little longer, but it does clear up to a haze pretty quick. At the track, our 350 tune is extremely clean, cleaner than our 310. On the street is a different story though. :hehe:

Don't forget about timing though....timing plays a pretty big part in how much smoke there is or is not.

#11 ·
I never understood the fascination with a smoke show, or "rolling coal". Maybe its a young mans obsession, idk. I could be wrong, im 27.

To answer your question, you could put on a nice show with with a spartan or SCT as others have said.

#12 ·
KEM 345 tune has a good puff of black smoke right off the line but clears up right away, also on the freeway if you punch it you will get another good cloud but again clears up. Are you looking for a steady stream of smoke? If so FYI like said its not good for your engine but year sometimes I wish I had that feature when some idiot in a Honda is tailgating me on the freeway.

#14 ·
I agree with rdwngs444, I prefer an efficient tune with good power/torque coupled to excellent fuel mileage and no smoke. Don't want to call attention to authorities and don't want others to choke on my smoke, just like i don't like smelling other's cigarette from their joy of smoking or being urinated on from those who love and enjoy alcohol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.