Warranty & Tuning? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2011, 01:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Warranty & Tuning?

I read all the time about how doing a DPF delete and tune is BETTER for the truck. I also see a lot of guys saying they are waiting for the warranty to run out before they tune. Is it that people are so scared of these trucks that they just know something is going to break and want to wait until the last minute of warranty before tuning, in which case if something does break after that point it's not as if the bill is going to be any cheaper than if you had just done the DPF at 8000 miles. Just trying to wrap my head around some of this logic. Don't get me wrong, I want to delete and tune just as much as the next guy but for me it's all about paying the bill for a break. I could care less if I had warranty or not if I could afford the break which I'm sure is the same for all. But I just dont' see waiting for the warranty to run out if it actually benefits the truck and in the end if the tuner breaks something or not your paying for the repairs warranty or no warranty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2011, 03:13 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suthrn View Post
I read all the time about how doing a DPF delete and tune is BETTER for the truck. I also see a lot of guys saying they are waiting for the warranty to run out before they tune. Is it that people are so scared of these trucks that they just know something is going to break and want to wait until the last minute of warranty before tuning, in which case if something does break after that point it's not as if the bill is going to be any cheaper than if you had just done the DPF at 8000 miles. Just trying to wrap my head around some of this logic. Don't get me wrong, I want to delete and tune just as much as the next guy but for me it's all about paying the bill for a break. I could care less if I had warranty or not if I could afford the break which I'm sure is the same for all. But I just dont' see waiting for the warranty to run out if it actually benefits the truck and in the end if the tuner breaks something or not your paying for the repairs warranty or no warranty.

Your post is slightly confusing but basically my thought is: If you cant pay to fix it, then dont void the warranty with a tuner. Will the truck run better with a tuner? YES. Will it void the warranty and make you liable for a major breakage? Probably, yes.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosspbig View Post
Your post is slightly confusing but basically my thought is: If you cant pay to fix it, then dont void the warranty with a tuner. Will the truck run better with a tuner? YES. Will it void the warranty and make you liable for a major breakage? Probably, yes.
If you can't pay to fix it in warranty how can you pay to fix it out of warranty I guess is my question? I don't see the point in waiting if it's better on the truck and has the potential to make the truck last longer.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:29 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
If you can't pay to fix it in warranty how can you pay to fix it out of warranty I guess is my question? I don't see the point in waiting if it's better on the truck and has the potential to make the truck last longer.
Well if I am interpreting your question correctly, you dont seem to know how a warranty works. Let me enlighten you. For example, if your transmission breaks on a stock truck under warranty, Ford will replace it for free. Same thing if your motor dies for some reason. If you are under warranty, Ford will cover the repairs. If you are not covered under warranty then you will be responsible for the costs. Make sense?
Old 02-07-2011, 03:33 PM
IBEW Journeyman Lineman

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I've always ran my new vehicles stock for long enough to make sure there weren't any manufacturing defects or apparent flaws and that I didn't have a lemon. I figure if its got any issues I'm going to have an idea within like 10-15K. I like to turn my trucks up and enjoy them, I'm sure not going to wait 100K until I can really start to enjoy the most expensive toy I have. Right now none of my 4 vehicles is in warranty and it doesn't bother me a bit. Just ordered my tuner and dpf delete today actually.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosspbig View Post
Well if I am interpreting your question correctly, you dont seem to know how a warranty works. Let me enlighten you. For example, if your transmission breaks on a stock truck under warranty, Ford will replace it for free. Same thing if your motor dies for some reason. If you are under warranty, Ford will cover the repairs. If you are not covered under warranty then you will be responsible for the costs. Make sense?
I fully understand a warranty. I don't understand that if a truck is out of warranty then tuning is ok but under warranty it isn't advised. If I tune under warranty and something breaks I'll have to pay for it but if I wait till the warranty is gone I still have to pay for it. I guess you just don't understand what I'm saying. In the past I've always tuned stuff or added superchargers and the such under warranty but nothing that was going to cost me as much as this truck if I broke something. I always knew going in what I was getting in to. I didn't wait for a warranty to expire. But I can't afford to replace this motor now or when the warranty runs out.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:55 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
I fully understand a warranty. I don't understand that if a truck is out of warranty then tuning is ok but under warranty it isn't advised. If I tune under warranty and something breaks I'll have to pay for it but if I wait till the warranty is gone I still have to pay for it. I guess you just don't understand what I'm saying. In the past I've always tuned stuff or added superchargers and the such under warranty but nothing that was going to cost me as much as this truck if I broke something. I always knew going in what I was getting in to. I didn't wait for a warranty to expire. But I can't afford to replace this motor now or when the warranty runs out.
Im trying to understand your question. If you tune under warranty then your warranty is probably going to be voided in the event of a major break down. If you tune out of warranty you will be liable for the costs of a major breakdown regardless. Now, the reason people wait until they get out of warranty to tune is to cover their asses financially for the maximum amount of time.

Now, if you cant afford to pay for a new motor etc, then dont void your warranty, and when your warranty runs out, get a new truck that is covered by a warranty, buy an extended warranty, or buy a car that you can afford to fix in the event of a catastrophic failure.

Basically the bottom line is that tuning the truck makes it run better, but you void the warranty which is a risk. If you are already out of the warranty, then many would argue that you are lengthening the life of your truck by tuning it, and you now don't have the risk of voiding the warranty. Either way the general consensus on this board is that tuning lengthens the life of your truck, no matter when you do it. That does not mean that a tuned truck is indestructible, and once you tune, you are probably going to be held liable for the repair costs warranty or not. Hope this helps.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I think it is basicaly like ROSSPBIG stated above. If you have a warranty and something brakes who cares take it to Ford and hav ethem fix it on their dime. Now if you have a warranty and you tune the truck and it brakes and you take it to Ford they are going to deny the warranty because of the tuner and you are stuck with the bill.

The reason I do not tune yet is because I have only 10,000 miles on my 09. I still have a payment on the truck and I can't afford to tune and loose my warranty if something would break. I was thinking of getting a Spartan tuner because they say that Ford can't detect their tuners but with all the fees and the problems people seem to have I have decided not to tune with a Spartan and leave it stock. When I pay off the truck I will tune because then I can put the payment I wa smaking in savings in case something big does break. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfreaked View Post
The reason I do not tune yet is because I have only 10,000 miles on my 09. I still have a payment on the truck and I can't afford to tune and loose my warranty if something would break. When I pay off the truck I will tune because then I can put the payment I was making in savings in case something big does break. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.
This is what I was looking for. An explanation of why some wait.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.