Blue smoke and bad smell after Spartan and dpf/cat delete - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2011, 08:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Blue smoke and bad smell after Spartan and dpf/cat delete

I went out to start the truck this morning to get it warmed up. I went back to it about 5 min later to find huge blue clouds of smoke and a very strong exhaust smell. The smoke only last till I drove off then stopped. But the smell seems like it's very strong always. Temp lastnight was in the 20s and this am was in the 30s and was not plugged in. Had the 275 tune in. Also it seems not to have the same power as it did when I put it on first which has only been a week or so. I did put in the 310 and 350 tune just to make sure hey loaded but did not really get on it with those tunes. Ok well maybe once or twice just to see but only for a couple of seconds. To jumpy for me for a dd tune put seem to have power. Just saying incase this has something to do with the blue smoke and smell. Not sure how accurate the torque reading is on the dash daq but was only showing 700tq. It should that when I first put the tuner in with he 150 tune no intake or no delete pipe. So not sure. Any help would be great. Sorry forth grammar or spelling mistakes did this from my phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2011, 01:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

The blue smoke and part of the smell is from the grease used during the manufacturing of the delete pipe- once heat burns it out from driving, it will be gone. Only smell remaining should be the same diesel smell as you would get from any older, non-emissions diesel engine.

Concerning the torque reading, those are relative calculated torque readings used internally in the ECM for calibration purposes- it is also a metric reading, not standard ft-lbs, so it is only for development reference really. We typically reference it for diagnosing problems.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:58 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
its unfiltered exhaust. its gonna smell different
Old 02-06-2011, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod B View Post
its unfiltered exhaust. its gonna smell better
Fixed for you.

Maybe it's just me... but I can't stand the smell of the exhaust from my DPF/CAT equiped truck.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I run the 210 tune during the winter (easier to drive in the snow than the big tunes) and in the cold weather my truck fumes bad, a lot of smoke, you cant leave it warming up in your garage with the doors closed for sure. So I just pull it out and let it warm up outdoors. It is a very strong diesel smell.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyD View Post

I can't stand the smell of the exhaust from my DPF/CAT equiped truck.
agreed 100%, it does smell better with the dpf/cat off but stiill not good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.