Dangit Spartan! Why? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2011, 09:14 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry Dangit Spartan! Why?

I was in the middle of purchasing a used Spartan Phalanx from a forum member when I was informed by Spartan that after the tuner was relicensed it would have the new firmware and WOULD NOT be able to run any other tunes except Spartan. Why would they want to do this? You pay them more money up front than any other tuner out on the market and yet they still want more! I guess I will quit trying to save money and just buy retail and go with the H&S
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2011, 09:19 AM
Let's Run'em

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TwinTurboStroker
Well really it doesn't matter which custom tuner you run, you cant run someone else's tunes because it won't work with your strategy.........so either way your going to need to buy tunes for your truck
Old 02-01-2011, 09:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

You'll like the H&S programmer! Sucks that the Spartan diddnt work out for you though
Old 02-01-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurboStroker View Post
Well really it doesn't matter which custom tuner you run, you cant run someone else's tunes because it won't work with your strategy.........so either way your going to need to buy tunes for your truck
You don't understand obviously. I know that I will have to purchase custom tunes that are tuned to my truck. BUT, I want the option to purchase those tunes from KEM. With the relicense and firmware update Spartan no longer allows the use of any other tunes unless they come directly from them.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:29 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
If you want KEM get the SCT. That leaves your options open for other tuners in the future
Old 02-01-2011, 09:44 AM
Let's Run'em

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TwinTurboStroker
Quote:
Originally Posted by STROKER64 View Post
You don't understand obviously. I know that I will have to purchase custom tunes that are tuned to my truck. BUT, I want the option to purchase those tunes from KEM. With the relicense and firmware update Spartan no longer allows the use of any other tunes unless they come directly from them.
Oh my bad........well then you obviously don't understand that KEM and Spartan no longer work together and haven't for some time
Old 02-01-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurboStroker View Post
Oh my bad........well then you obviously don't understand that KEM and Spartan no longer work together and haven't for some time
Oh I was fully aware of that , but I was not aware that a relicense would have to go thru a software update as well. Just about every other tuner on the market can be unlocked by returning the vehicle to stock and then moving over to a new truck with no re-licensing required. Somebody has their mind set strictly on making $
Old 02-01-2011, 10:16 AM
Banned

Ive been thinking Spartan is taking a Big Hit with their Proprietary tuner strategy. That was a bust for the PC market way back when also. Im pretty sure , Tuners that are open to the best tunes will prevail. The market itself will prove which are the best tunes.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:25 AM
Premium Member

Well what ever tuner you go with, the one with the greatest flexibility will prevail on the market. H&S and KEM are a great match.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:43 AM

You can use innovative on another truck without the re-licensing fee....how come no-one on this board says much about them??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.