airdog II 165 install, finish - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2011, 03:08 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
airdog II 165 install, finish

This is a continuation of my airdog II dumptruck method install airdog II install dump truck method phase 1 .

The installation goes something like this:
Remove both connections at the trucks fuel basket Cap, connect the dogs 3/8" fuel return and the 1/2" fuel suction line to the vacated male quick connectors on the tank cap. Reconnect the two fuel filler tube lines and lower the truck.

Theres two connection leads for the airdog , one is for the power , the other is for the optional fuel pressure guage.

airdog II 165 install, finish-008.jpg
This shows the 3/8" return line back to the Fuel basket, and the pressure line running to the engine .

This is obvious but please Note: The dogs "Special Tee" picks up the 3/8" return line from the engine , the two remaining 3/8" ines must be returned to the tank in one of several ways. (recommend) Splice into the airdog return line with two 3/8" T fittings. Or weld two fuel bungs into the trucks filler tube. Or drill and fit the Fuel Basket Cap with two 3'8" fittings, this is the hardest if your using the dumptruck method, because you must remove the bed or drop the fuel tank. So choose your poison .

This is how the electrical goes: Tie down the relay and 20amp fuse securely, I did like this.
airdog II 165 install, finish-001.jpg
The line running up into the engine bay is + and - wires for the Batt.

Hook the airdog II "Red" 12v ign. switchable wire into the electrical system Like this:
airdog II 165 install, finish-002.jpg
Disconnect the white connection from the OE pump socket, seperate the "purple and White" wire and cut it. Then run the dogs, "RED" wire, to the "Purple and white" wire. Cut the RED wire below the fuse tap , see the last pic, and splice it into the Purple and white wire. The Black ground wire isnt needed.

airdog II 165 install, finish-007.jpg
This is the fuse tap end of the "RED" wire. It would be used to connect into the trucks fuse Box. But, the ford 6.4l is best connected at the oe fuel pump. location.

Prime and bleed the system like this:
(recomend) If you have the on engine Fuel filter housing Cap off then put towels around the housing then cycle the key to the run position for 4-5 seconds then off, repeate this until cleaned fuel gushes. Or loosen the fuel line connection at the engine fitting and cycle the ignition run position until the fuel is running out clean.

Thats about it, not real difficult if you know for sure what your doing, I was kind of vague about the "RED" wire and had to dope it out.

On another note, the airdog II 165 instruction manual sucks, Its not complete and neither is the Kit itself. Its missing the entire return to tank hardware. After figuring that out, I went to the hardware store for 3/8" fuel line , The two 3/8" T's and all the clamps.

The good part is, My trucks fuel injectors are loving all the super clean diesel fuel they are recieving. I believe the ad II 165 is another critical mod, Air in the fuel at the injectors is a No-No in a big way. I consider it cheap insurance for the overall life and reliability of the engine .

If your a back yard mechanic and go for the at home, on the ground way to install this kit, be sure to get the "quick disconnect tools" Be firm but dont strong arm, The lines can be a Pita to disconnect. Have fun its way worth it

Kudos Nate the excellent rep. at PTP who sells the Airdog's

Last edited by Vettester; 02-01-2011 at 04:50 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2011, 05:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Thanks for the writeup and pictures. I plan on doing an Airdog when I get a titan fuel tank here is a few months.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:46 PM
Emergency Services

Nice write up and thanks for info. I would like to do this mod one day.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:45 AM

nice write up. So do you take off the old water seperator and water filter and mount the airdog where it was?
Old 02-01-2011, 07:57 AM

Thats an excellent writeup man, thanks for sharing. Glad to hear you are liking the Airdog II!
Old 02-01-2011, 07:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04hdfatboy View Post
nice write up. So do you take off the old water seperator and water filter and mount the airdog where it was?
No, it mounts in the more open area south towards the tank, on the other side of the crossmember. Find your spot in that area. The oem pump does not need to be removed , I just disabled and left mine right where it was. Be sure to pull both leads Off the oe pump to assure there is No power to the old pump.
TC
Old 02-01-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettester View Post
No, it mounts in the more open area south towards the tank, on the other side of the crossmember. Find your spot in that area. The oem pump does not need to be removed , I just disabled and left mine right where it was. Be sure to pull both leads Off the oe pump to assure there is No power to the old pump.
TC
good deal! Thanks
Old 02-22-2011, 05:01 AM

Vettester

Many thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge with us.

I have some questions: The OE filter at the motor should be still used? If yes, that filter could be bought alone (As up to I know the OE fuel filters comes in a set)? In addition, did you notice the better performance claimed by Pureflow (Airdog) relative to the removal of air from the fuel?
Old 02-22-2011, 07:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribePickup View Post
Vettester

Many thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge with us.

I have some questions: The OE filter at the motor should be still used? If yes, that filter could be bought alone (As up to I know the OE fuel filters comes in a set)? In addition, did you notice the better performance claimed by Pureflow (Airdog) relative to the removal of air from the fuel?
Thanks Caribe, Yes the filter at the motor is still used, so the "filter set" becomes a drawback. I havent found the top filter as a single yet, but will continue to look. Dont want unusable filters piling up in the garage

I think the only very noticable thing regarding the power would be the fuel supply at High boost. Example , getting into the truck for an all out romp with the,Hot damn or KEM 345 tune, during a 10-12 second run. Theres zero chance the injectors would starve due to insufficient supply from the airdog II system to The HP pump. Its doubtful the OE pump would suffice.
But for us daily drivers ,Whats most important is the assurance of much less or no airated fuel at the inj. nozzle. Next is cleaner and cooler fuel at the inj. nozzle. All making for improved effeciency. Thats what I was looking for with the Dog 165.

PS It would be REAL cool if Pureflow would sell the OE filter along with the spin ons at a reasonable price!!

Last edited by Vettester; 02-22-2011 at 08:03 AM.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

airdog II 165 install

I have an 08 F-350 and I want to install one of the Air dog systems, what is the difference between them? Also is one system easier to install than the other?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.