Inexpensive programmers - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2011, 06:16 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Inexpensive programmers

I own a 2008 6.4l and recently was looking on ebay and came across a few inexpensive programmers one called mindblower, and the other called powermax. I have no experience with programmers and am not sure what to look for. They are simply plug in programmer and advertised hp and tq gains. I am just wondering if these really do anything, and if they are safe. I have my doubts and will likely go a different route, but for the prices they advertised if anyone has used one of these or has any info on them it would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2011, 06:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

You get what you pay for is all im gonna say. A 20$ programmer from ebay could turn into an 18,000 crate engine.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:38 PM

Yeah I an thinking that but it never hurts to ask you never know.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:23 PM

I would be concerned putting something like that on my truck, I would stick with Spartan, H&S, or SCT.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:06 PM

of the three which would you guys recommend as best band for the buck? I still have the DPF and don't want to risk removing it because the authorities are not particularly fond of me as it is, and they would likely hassle me on it.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:26 AM

In my honest opinion, if you are not going to delete the dpf I wouldnt bother with it. specially if you are still under warranty.

But, if you are not under warranty and want a little bump in power, the best bang for the buck will be the sct or the H&S XRT. I love my H&S product and would recommend them to anyone.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:34 AM

A buddy of mine bought one of those ebay "tuners" for his hemi and it turned out to be a little black box with 2 wires on it, you just scotch blocked them in and it was supposed to have all kinds of added power and fuel economy...didn't do a thing...I have also heard lots of good things about H&S but have not had the funds to upgrade trucks to try
Old 01-30-2011, 10:59 AM

I agree with powerstrokedub. If you are not going to delete, I wouldn't do it. You will plug your DPF at some point if you stop the REGEN process and don't do a delete.

I love my Spartan, but the reviews on the H&S are getting better and better.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:15 PM

Really eh Im no longer under warranty but if it's going to cause problems, or not make a big difference then I likely won't bother spending big bucks on one. I really appreciate the input, I'm new to diesel and I love it but I'm realizing how careful you have to be whenever you mess with these engines. Thanks again.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:43 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertower View Post
Really eh Im no longer under warranty but if it's going to cause problems, or not make a big difference then I likely won't bother spending big bucks on one. I really appreciate the input, I'm new to diesel and I love it but I'm realizing how careful you have to be whenever you mess with these engines. Thanks again.
If you already have over 100,000 miles, no warranty, then I would delete the DOC/DPF. Doing so will stop the fuel in the crankcase and add to the health of your engine.

I have a H&S Mini with a 75HP tune from KEM. Increased the fuel mileage and stopped the fuel dilution in the crankcase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.