Received my airdog II 165 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2011, 09:01 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Received my airdog II 165

It looks like a few days of bad weather comming in so I have time for more research into the install. I plan to to document my procedure as best I can.
Ive loosened all the torx 50 bolts in the bed, so its for certain Ill be starting off with the bed jacked up into the dump truck position, to get to the top of the tank.

I Remember some excellent documentation that was done by a member or someone , but cant find it anymore. Can anyone point me to some existing documentation? The instruction sheets are good but Im a little vague still with some of the steps.

thanks..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2011, 10:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

There is a write up in Diesel Power Magazine. It's one of the 2010 issues I believe.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:51 AM
Banned

thanks Jeff Ill check it out..
Old 01-25-2011, 10:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

here it is

Ford 6.4L PureFlow AirDog II Lift Pump - Diesel Power Magazine
Old 01-25-2011, 11:13 AM
Banned

Chad Flynn's write up, Oh yeah, thats what I need to look at..
Thanks Guys..
TC
Old 01-26-2011, 06:06 AM

i just did the install, and I just droped the tank. It was a 1/4 full and took about 5 minutes with a dewalt cordless impact. just droped the front half and left the back strap loose. you need a 10mm for the skid plate and a 13mm for the tank strap.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopperwagonbob View Post
i just did the install, and I just droped the tank. It was a 1/4 full and took about 5 minutes with a dewalt cordless impact. just droped the front half and left the back strap loose. you need a 10mm for the skid plate and a 13mm for the tank strap.
Still storming outside here in Tampa so Im not rushed. Well Chad flynn's instructions arent that hot. Nice pics but leaves out much of the important detail. According to his pics , he used flared fittings into the airdog, My supplied Pump fittings are all female jiffy tight's so I dont know whats up with that? I switched to the airdog II instuctions after I saw that!

Ill Just Raise the Bed since all the bed bolts loosened up OK for me. It may be a little less claustrophobic under there that way too. Hell, I may do both , Im extra large and not so dexterous anymore.

Hopperwagonbob, did you have to use a disconnect tool to get the oem lines off the stock Pump, Ill have to get one if its necessary?

Ive done a mockup of the the bracket assy. and back plates on the floor of my office. It appears, If you mount to the drivers inside frame rail, as is advised, The airdog II logo and id plate point in and are hidden, because the tank side of the unit must point to the rear of the truck. I think thats strange... but doesnt seem to matter? Anybody Affirm that or Have I had a senior moment with the mock up?
Thanks for the feedback..keep it comming, I need all the help I can get, like how to best avoid a diesel bath ect.

Last edited by Vettester; 01-26-2011 at 07:45 AM.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:43 AM
Banned

On a further look see,..Chad flynn's write up is Not for airdog II. The article "incorrectly" describes it as as a airdog II but Notice the supplied male flared fittings. Thats the airdog Kit. Sheeze louise more wrong internet instructions.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:00 PM

yea the instructions are generic. and dont count on airdog for help their 4 or 5 days out on tech support. and no you dont need a disconect tool. and yes the unit gets turned around so you dont see the s/n or decal. and if you have a regular cab there is not enough room to mount it inside the frame.I mounted mine on the outside and made a metal box around it to protect the filters. I also cut and shortend my hoses with the supplied hose barbed couplings.then put soom split loom conduit over them. I also got an electric gauge and sending unit and hooked to an 1/8 port on the top of unit (look at the instructions for pic) comes from factory around 10 psi I think. Just left it thre fo now.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopperwagonbob View Post
yea the instructions are generic. and dont count on airdog for help their 4 or 5 days out on tech support. and no you dont need a disconect tool. and yes the unit gets turned around so you dont see the s/n or decal. and if you have a regular cab there is not enough room to mount it inside the frame.I mounted mine on the outside and made a metal box around it to protect the filters. I also cut and shortend my hoses with the supplied hose barbed couplings.then put soom split loom conduit over them. I also got an electric gauge and sending unit and hooked to an 1/8 port on the top of unit (look at the instructions for pic) comes from factory around 10 psi I think. Just left it thre fo now.
Ill be starting tomorrow, and will post pics and details as I go along. Not sure if I'll bother with the sending unit, seems moot to me at this point.
I have a long bed , looks plenty of room along the rail, and may not need to splice the lines. Thanks for the info, helped alot..
TC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.