help me decide on tune - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2011, 08:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
help me decide on tune

I've been reading these threads so much I think my eyes are about to bleed. Maybe y'all can help me out. Here is what kind of driving I do. I do not go to the track or treat my truck like a sports car. It is my daily driver and I tow with it. I'm looking for something that will give me that "kick in the pants" when I need to pass in a short distance or get ahead of traffic getting on the highway. Better mpg and retain the smooth shifting and drivability I love about the truck. I won't be going internal on the motor or upgrading the tranny so I need something safe for that and will keep the EGT's in check as well. After reading for days, I'm leaning towards the black max or mini max (not sure the difference in them other than size).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2011, 08:48 AM
Banned

My Strategy has been.
H&S tuner and test the stock tunes from the factory. Then Download and install the Free Hot Damn tune from the H&S website , check em out for am few weeks.Then purchase the 345 Tune from KEM and if all goes well , use this as my permanent tune.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I am gonna try the Diable Predator Tuner on My Truck, Good Price on it, Here is the link -

DIABLOSPORT PREDATOR TUNER FORD F SERIES DIESEL 08-10 - eBay (item 230559169611 end time Feb-01-11 13:24:15 PST)
Old 01-25-2011, 05:18 AM

I have Eric from Innovative. Mostly have the tow tune installed because that is what the truck gets used for most of the time. I did load the X-Street to drive 150 miles unloaded to see if I got an increase in MPG and I did. For towing the tow tune wont get hot. The only way I can get the EGT's above 1250, which is my limit point for long periods, is towing 18000 up a 7-8% grade with my foot in it for a while. Eric is great at tranny tuning also. Might look into him. His tow tune feels a lot more than the rated 65 HP,mainly from the tranny tuning. Plus your truck will run cooler than it does stock with the dpf installed.

I am not a fan of any tuner than does not tune the tranny. I also would not tune this truck without getting rid of the dpf. I am not a banks fan, but I have read that they have been doing pretty good with the dpf installed. But again no tranny tuning and the truck will still have regen and get the EGT's in the 1400 range. So in all, I would not tune it without deleting the dpf and tuning the trans.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

You really can't go wrong with either H&S or Eric @ IDP. Both will give you smooth crisp shifting and a nice over all increase in power. H&S is adjustable on the fly vs. the SCT you have to shut the truck off the swap tunes, maybe 10-15 minutes.
Let me know if we could be of any help!

Thanks Gabriel 919-383-9300
Old 01-25-2011, 08:03 AM

Thanks for all the info. Keep it coming. I did forget to mention that I WILL be doing a dpf delete at the same time.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
i vote for Eric or H&S... we can give you a good deal on either setup if your interested

-Raul
Old 01-25-2011, 10:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

If you have any questions about the Spartan Phalanx, feel free to shoot me a PM or email!

Thanks,

Jeff@Spartan
Old 01-25-2011, 11:37 AM
Served Our Country!

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to HighOn20s Send a message via Yahoo to HighOn20s
KEM 345 tune loaded and running!
Old 01-26-2011, 06:57 PM

I dont think the spartan 210 heavy tow tune can be beat, Most power, very safe, and probably the best do it all/tow tune you can get, excellent fuel mileage as well, however it is a little firmer shifting then most.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.