Traction bars - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2011, 12:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Traction bars

Looking for a little more info then what I can find. Everyone says that OUO bars are spot on with geometry. Could someone explain what that is?

I design and fab a lot of 3 and 4 link suspensions for Rock crawling and racing buggys. I know just what changing the mounting point by even an inch can change, and how to change things. Now that being said.

I can't figure out what about the OUO bars are spot on. With the angle of the rear springs and the mounting point of the shackle. The axle naturally wants to move up and forward under compression. So with the OUO bars, or any other built in a similar way, as the axle travels up, the bars will try to push the axle backwards fighting the springs and trying to rotate the pinion down. Its just what is does.

A lot of people say to try and follow the driveshaft as close as possible. That still does not make sense as far as geometry.

Now that being said. With the small amount of travel the rear of these trucks have, none of this thinking may matter. I am use to working with 16"+ of travel.

It seems to me, as far as axle wrap control goes. You would want one anti wrap bar (ladder style) on the same angle as the rear springs mounted to a shackle on the frame end. There for there would be no binding at all, and axle wrap would be 100% under control. A truss may need to be used on the rear axle to strengthen the tubes so they do no twist out of the diff with only one anti wrap bar. This would also be tucked up in the frame and not hanging down low to the ground.

Just trying to further understand the reasoning behind the length and angle of the bars used. With a better reason then it works. I could make 20 different set ups that would work. Just trying to improve on the idea at the same time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2011, 05:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

To be honest, I still have decided what route I want to go. It is a known fact that both PMF and OUO traction blocks are the ultimate setup. They are pricey of course, and in my opinion very worth it if you have a large lift on the truck. I just don't know if they are worth it on a stock height or leveled truck.

This is why I am highly considering going with a traction bar like what DppPower offers, or even Cal Tracs. Both Trevor (PMF) and the guys at Truck Toyz (the OUO dealer) have been very helpful over the past few months with answering questions, etc. I just don't think I am going to spend $750+ on a traction block setup when I am stock height with 33" tires.

I will eventually decided and I will post up a very in depth thread post on what I think of what I went with, after I have put them to the test of course.

Keep us posted Sean on what you decide also! This is my only input on this thread lol
Old 01-22-2011, 07:38 PM

I think everyone agrees that the OUO traction bars and ones a like work very well. With every set up like those with two lower single bars, The more block the truck has, the better they will work. If you were to take the block out all together, like a lot of guys with lowered trucks. The OUO bars would be much less effective, or they would need to be mounted further below the axle tube.

With trucks with less block, I think a ladder bar with two points at the axle and one at the frame is needed. If its a street truck only, you could run ladder bars on both sides. If you still want it to flex good, you would need to run a single ladder/ anti wrap bar on one side with a shackle at the frame side.

The other thing I am having issues figuring out is why everyone runs bars that are so long. Set up on the right angle with the spring, I see a 40-48" arm being good. 52-56 would make it to an easier part of the frame to work with if you didn't want to add a cross member.

I just don't want normal traction bars hanging down low to the ground. They are cool for pulling trucks, but I don't have a pulling truck.

I just finished building a new 5" exhaust last night which gives a little extra room to work with. traction bar/bars are next on the list.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

I think I may end up just going with Cal Tracs like I was originally going to do....especially since I race my truck.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:25 PM

I do like the cal tracs. They are a simple design and seem to work for everything. They are the only product I see on the market that are set up to work WITH the leaf spring, not against it. The only thing im not too sure if I like is the Aluminum bushing for long term use. The only pictures I found were kinda lacking quality. Is there any type of grease fitting?
Old 01-23-2011, 03:12 AM

Was looking at the OUO bars. What would the advantages of the adjusable ones be?
Old 01-23-2011, 03:13 AM

Well if you come up with a set of bar post them up... I will need some bar inthe near future.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:10 AM

The only advantage of the adjustable arms is you have more of an option of where to place the frame mount. Which leads back to my original question about geometry. If the geometry was actually perfect, they would not give you adjustable arm and let you move the frame mount around. Moving the frame mount changes the geometry.

Now I'm not saying the ouo bars are not perfect, I don't want to start a war here... I just don't think there is much geometry planed out like everyone claims. Its more of just getting the bars on the truck in an easy location to work with. This is why when everyone build there own, they work good. Its a simple solution to axle wrap. I am just trying to figure out a more hidden idea. I just wanted to make sure there was not something I was missing first.

I remember seeing a picture of a dodge pulling truck that the frame was bent in half. The claim was the bars were too short, or on a weak point of the frame. I don't remember exactly.

I know Jeff said his procomp bars didn't work very good for him. Could you maybe post a picture? And how much block where you running at the time?
Old 01-23-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipkyss View Post
The axle naturally wants to move up and forward under compression.
Um, the swing shackle is at the rear, the axle moves up and back under compression not forward.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipkyss View Post
I know Jeff said his procomp bars didn't work very good for him. Could you maybe post a picture? And how much block where you running at the time?
I have a few pictures. I will see what I can find.

As for the blocks, they were just the factory 1 7/8" F-250 blocks. Pro Comp advertises that their bars work best with a 4-8" lift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonm View Post
Um, the swing shackle is at the rear, the axle moves up and back under compression not forward.
The axle rolls upward toward the front of the truck. Have you ever seen videos of it occurring? At least in the videos that I have seen, that is what it does.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.